Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5th year Advice please :)

Options
  • 13-06-2016 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

I will be going into 5th year in September and I'm just looking for some advice on how to keep on top of things and how to study effectively. I have already covered 17 chapters of one of the LC subjects during supervised study ( You studied 4 days a week in TY?!!).

I have excellent attendance in school. I haven't missed any days in 3rd or 4th year. I have been doing after school study 4 days a week since third year (It's not on Fridays sadly). I always sit near the top of the classroom away from the "banter squads", and I listen as best as I can in class.

How tough is 5th year if you do the above and work really hard? What are the best study techniques for somebody like me who is a visual learner? I write my own notes but I don't think I'll have enough time to do that with the amount of homework I'll be getting in 5th year. I also find that no matter how hard I try to do a lovely spider diagram, it just ends up crammed with information?

The subjects I'm doing are Maths, Irish, English, Business, Economics, French, Home Ec, and LCVP.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

You have absolutely nothing to worry about, your in a very good position and will deal with it as it comes.
    Im just out of 5 th and I found it very tough but probably didn't do as much study as you.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 ella1998

By the sounds of it, it will be no bother to yeah, fifth year isn't too tough as long as you keep on top of your work, you already have a big advantage over the most who haven't lifted a pen during TY. Try get as many notes written (really neatly) as possible in 5th year, you'll be really glad you did when your in 6th year just before your mocks and you want to review 5th year work. Time is best spent in 5th year trying to understand concepts (especially in maths), if you go into 6th year with a good understanding of all your work covered 5th year its half the battle and you can focus on the learning and remembering in 6th year. Good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Gahv

Not sure if srs OP... You have to pretty much fail 5th year so you're overloaded with work to do in 6th year... Don't wanna get complacent

• Registered Users Posts: 27 CreepyOnion

I think writing your own shorthand notes on everything is useful. There's no point in learning pages of notes off by heart in 5th year because you're probably going to forget it all by the LC, unless you go over it very often.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭adam240610

It's not as bad as you think it will be, the whole leaving cert is rather relaxed depending on your chosen subjects, I have six days off now, and with the rate you're going you won't have any problems in the slightest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭LLAMAMILK

Thank you so much everyone. This advice has made me feel so much better!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 855 ✭✭✭TSMGUY

not to be irresponsible but 5th year is a piece of piss. You could eff around all year and get 625 in the LC. It'd be harder but still very possible.

LOL. 5th year. What a lark:D

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

5th year is as hard as you make it, you can get through it doing the bare minimum or you can push yourself if you want. It also depends on your subjects and their respective teachers (how much homework they give, whether they give regular class tests etc.)

I know people who scraped through 5th year doing the absolute bare minimum with regards to homework and study, then went foot to the floor in LC and came out with 500+ points, but having said that I would imagine putting in an effort in 5th year would ease some of the stress in LC.

Advertisement