Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Castlegarden XT200HD Ride On blocking

Options
  • 13-06-2016 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

Hi

Just wondering if anyone here has experience with a Castlegarden XT200HD ride on lawnmower. I have one, approx 7 years old with 230 hours on the clock, regularly serviced etc and blades sharpened few times a year etc (I sharpen the blades myself generally apart from when been in for the service).

Problem is that the chute between the blades and grass collector tends to quite regularly get blocked. Is this a common issue with these lawnmowers??
    I dont drive fast when mowing the lawn so am not putting the machine under to much pressure. Engine is a 20HP engine on a 102cm deck.

Any advice, greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mountainy man

I don't have the same machine as you, but you could check that the air vents surrounding the mandrels ( the things the blades and the belts are attached to passing through the deck) are clear, the blades act like a fan sucking in air through here to blow the grass into the collector.
    Another explanation could be that the grass is wet/damp and is heavier and harder to blow through or could be a combination of both things.

I hope this helps.
    MM

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Thekeencyclist

I don't have the same machine as you, but you could check that the air vents surrounding the mandrels ( the things the blades and the belts are attached to passing through the deck) are clear, the blades act like a fan sucking in air through here to blow the grass into the collector.
    Another explanation could be that the grass is wet/damp and is heavier and harder to blow through or could be a combination of both things.

I hope this helps.
    MM

Thanks for the response, I will look into air vents and check them for blockages.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭fox0512

Hi

Just wondering if anyone here has experience with a Castlegarden XT200HD ride on lawnmower. I have one, approx 7 years old with 230 hours on the clock, regularly serviced etc and blades sharpened few times a year etc (I sharpen the blades myself generally apart from when been in for the service).

Problem is that the chute between the blades and grass collector tends to quite regularly get blocked. Is this a common issue with these lawnmowers??
    I dont drive fast when mowing the lawn so am not putting the machine under to much pressure. Engine is a 20HP engine on a 102cm deck.

Any advice, greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hi

It can happen on any machine and what many people forget is that for air to push grass into box efficiently air must be able to exit grass box...if possible clean your box with pressure washer to help this... also check your shoot that connects cutting deck to grass box, if its a steel one and corroded you will lose lift. Are you using high lift or mulching blades?...mulching blades will not send grass to box as good as high lift..check also your deck is not caked up with old grass..clean deck makes a huge difference!

.....just to add....a 20hp is more than capable of running a 102cm deck....note: if your engine is not running at its correct top end RPM neither are your blades which wouldnt help your problem

• Registered Users Posts: 18,518 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Ensure blades are set at 90degrees to each other. I find if mine drift off that it will block a bit more often.

I do as a previous poster suggested and clean the bag each spring.

Ensure drive belts to blades are tight and good as otherwise slippage slows the blades and loose power to blow grass up the chute.

• Advertisement

fox0512 wrote: »
    Hi

It can happen on any machine and what many people forget is that for air to push grass into box efficiently air must be able to exit grass box...if possible clean your box with pressure washer to help this... also check your shoot that connects cutting deck to grass box, if its a steel one and corroded you will lose lift. Are you using high lift or mulching blades?...mulching blades will not send grass to box as good as high lift..check also your deck is not caked up with old grass..clean deck makes a huge difference!

Not sure which blades they are, still on original blades but possibly could be mulching blades as it also came with a mulching plug. I will probably get new blades in next couple of weeks anyway just to eliminate blades been an issue. Will also power hose the grass collector.

_Brian wrote: »
    Ensure blades are set at 90degrees to each other. I find if mine drift off that it will block a bit more often.

I do as a previous poster suggested and clean the bag each spring.

Ensure drive belts to blades are tight and good as otherwise slippage slows the blades and loose power to blow grass up the chute.

Am going to tighten belts, they seem a bit on loose side I think.

Am going to tighten belts, they seem a bit on loose side I think.

Deck/blade belt will seem lose when not engaged thats ok if its manual engage as apposed to PTO/ pull switch...dont adjust deck belt unless your blades are struggling to engauge or if you find that blades are slowing down in higher grass... if you dont mulch then high lift blades will do the trick....most of these machines will mulch quite well tho and it does save the hassle of trying to dump grass...

Just looking at blades online, the Castlegarden 40" blades seem to come as either Collection Only or Mulch + Collection.
    My question is, can Collection Only blades still be used if mulching. I wouldnt do much mulching, I only use mulch when I do the side of road (between the road and hedge of some fields that I own). I never use the mulcher on the lawn.

Just looking at blades online, the Castlegarden 40" blades seem to come as either Collection Only or Mulch + Collection.
    My question is, can Collection Only blades still be used if mulching. I wouldnt do much mulching, I only use mulch when I do the side of road (between the road and hedge of some fields that I own). I never use the mulcher on the lawn.

Im not a fan of mulching to be honest for one your just blowing weed seed everywhere on the lawn not to mention the damp climate...the high lift will mulch but you might have to fly over it a second time if you dont want any cut grass showing or just collect it.....High lift only is your best option IMO... your current blades are prob the original so wont hurt to replace ... always good to keep that area under deck where grass exits clean too...Id imagine your current blades are mulch or combo....

• Advertisement

fox0512 wrote: »

Im not a fan of mulching to be honest for one your just blowing weed seed everywhere on the lawn not to mention the damp climate...the high lift will mulch but you might have to fly over it a second time if you dont want any cut grass showing or just collect it.....High lift only is your best option IMO... your current blades are prob the original so wont hurt to replace ... always good to keep that area under deck where grass exits clean too...Id imagine your current blades are mulch or combo....

Thanks - will go with the collector only / high lift blades, not fussy about how the grass verges look, I just do them to keep them looking somewhat neat and tidy etc.

Ok so just to update everyone, replaced blades today, cleaned under the deck - a lot of grass there built up over time, tightened belts a small touch, cleaned inside the collector box, it is like a new machine, could really fly through the grass and no blockages!! Thanks to everyone for their advice.

Ok so just to update everyone, replaced blades today, cleaned under the deck - a lot of grass there built up over time, tightened belts a small touch, cleaned inside the collector box, it is like a new machine, could really fly through the grass and no blockages!! Thanks to everyone for their advice.

Happy days...nothing like a machine working well!

Advertisement