Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shrub Going Brown at edges?

Options
  • 13-06-2016 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭

Hi all - I have 3 identical shrubs out the front of the house (I dont know the names but they look like standard green round shrubs, around 1 foot tall.

2 of the shrubs are fine, very green and healthy, but one has started to go brown around the edges and Ive no idea why.

Has anyone found this, and a solution for same?

This is similar to the bush http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/round-bush-21464322.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,211 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Could be a number of things, how long have they been in? Could be underwatering/over wet conditions, root damage, wind damage, weedkiller spray drift, a pic of the shrub in question would be helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Slipshaney

Thanks for that here is a pic
    looksee wrote: »
    Could be a number of things, how long have they been in? Could be underwatering/over wet conditions, root damage, wind damage, weedkiller spray drift, a pic of the shrub in question would be helpful.

Thanks for that. I've attached picture now

I think you will have to assume that that plant is gone. Once a conifer gets to that stage they don't tend to recover. If you replace it, pull back the gravel, dig out the conifer with as much of its original compost as you can - you will probably find that the roots are still in the shape of the pot it came in. Dig out the hole a bit more and replace with a mixture of fresh soil and compost then water the new shrub really well (stand it in a bucket with a few inches of water for half an hour or so) before planting it.

Thanks for that. It's just strange as the plant has been there for 7 years plus, and never was a problem. Also there are 2 identical shrubs next to it that are perfect. I have seen a few ants around the base, would this have caused something?

• Advertisement

Could be, if there is a big enough nest causing a disturbance to the roots, I suppose. I have no experience of that though.

Thanks a million
    looksee wrote: »
    Could be, if there is a big enough nest causing a disturbance to the roots, I suppose. I have no experience of that though.

Advertisement