Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a course

Options
  • 13-06-2016 8:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭

Hello

I would like to become a software developer but have no idea where to start, I am a complete novice.

I am looking for a class room based course as I have done distance/online learning before and this did not appeal to me. I prefer the interaction of a class room.

I am currently looking at

Code Institute http://www.codeinstitute.net/classroom/

DCU Graduate Diploma in IT

DBS Higher Diploma in Science Computing

I'm based North Dublin so have ruled out UCD as it would be difficult for me to get to.

Which would you recommend?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

What's your background/experience/current qualifications?

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Speculator

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    What's your background/experience/current qualifications?

Hi Tom,

My background is business and finance, I'm married with 2 children.

Working in Finance but looking to change career.

Qualifications: BA Business and Marketing.

Speculator wrote: »
    I'm married with 2 children.

I probably didn't quite need that level of detail. :D

The one from DCU and DBS are probably what you are looking for. There's also one in IT Blanchardstown that is part-time (full disclosure: I used to teach on the IT Blanchardstown one).

However, it is important to remember that these courses are generally an introduction, ideally you would go on further to do a masters to have a better chance of securing a job. You will be competing with graduates who have completed four years learning about software development, whereas most of these courses are only a year to 18 months long.

I probably didn't quite need that level of detail. :D

The one from DCU and DBS are probably what you are looking for. There's also one in IT Blanchardstown that is part-time (full disclosure: I used to teach on the IT Blanchardstown one).

However, it is important to remember that these courses are generally an introduction, ideally you would go on further to do a masters to have a better chance of securing a job. You will be competing with graduates who have completed four years learning about software development, whereas most of these courses are only a year to 18 months long.

LOL mentioned that I was married with 2 kids as this will have a knock on affect on how much time I can allocate to study.

I have absolutely no knowledge or experience of HTML, CSS, Python, Java programming etc. So would these courses suit a complete novice?

Why do you recommend DCU and IT Blanch?

I have absolutely no knowledge or experience of HTML, CSS, Python, Java programming etc. So would these courses suit a complete novice?

Yes, they assume no prior knowledge.

Because I was a student in the former and an employee in the latter. :D

Both have excellent reputations, and to be honest, I personally would consider them more appealing from an employer's perspective when compared with the private colleges.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

LOL mentioned that I was married with 2 kids as this will have a knock on affect on how much time I can allocate to study.

I've heard great things about ITB and excellent things about DCU.

I'll give you some advice - when you decide on a course, find out what languages they do in first year. You should be able to determine this by looking at the reading list for each module in the course. You'll almost certainly have HTML and CSS, together with another language.

Whatever it is, there is likely to be a ton of beginner tutorials on Youtube. In my experience, they can be of varying quality so take a look at a couple of channels before deciding on one. Then spend 30 mins or so every day before the course starts learning the basics of programming. That preparation will pay dividends when you actually start the course and have assignments / projects pending.

Thanks for all your advice.

DCU appears to be a level 9 and DIT Blanch appears to be a level 8.

Assuming the DCU course would be much tougher to complete?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Level 9 is a masters which would most definitely not be aimed at beginners and would probably require a degree.

Level 8 is a degree course. DCU definitely has a level 8 degree computing course. Are you sure you were looking at the right one?

Just to be clear, Level 8 is an honours degree, however, some places also offer a higher diploma at Level 8 (the ITB one is an example - http://www.itb.ie/StudyatITB/bn509pt.html ).

There are also Post-grad diplomas at Level 9, in addition to masters at Level 9, the entry requirements of which would be different.

The bottom line is that you need to check the entry requirements for each course before you decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Talisman

Just to be clear, Level 8 is an honours degree, however, some places also offer a higher diploma at Level 8 (the ITB one is an example - http://www.itb.ie/StudyatITB/bn509pt.html ).
    I wouldn't recommend that ITB course. I know people that took the course this year and parts of it have been an absolute disaster.

The lecturer for the first networking module didn't cover the curriculum so it meant the lecturer for the second module had to cram in what should have been covered before teaching their own unit.

The Software Engineering modules were basically follow along the Deitel book "Java How to Program: Late Objects Version". The assignments were taken from another Deitel book, "Java SE8 for Programmers". The individual giving the class was unable to explain basic OO concepts and left the students to figure it out for themselves in group chat sessions.

The Web Application Development unit was based upon the slides of another lecturer (teaching the second year undergraduate course). The individual lecturing the diploma course didn't know or have any interest in PHP which was the subject of the course. In order to complete the project for the unit, the diploma students had to teach themselves PHP, PDO, PHPUnit, PHPDoc, Silex & Twig.

I don't mean to tar the course, it wasn't all bad and I heard good things about the lecturers that have an interest in their subject matter. The failings of the three lecturers I have highlighted here would cause me to question the wisdom of doing the course especially if you have a family.

One of the individuals doing the course has done very well, but they have had to put in long hours learning the subjects outside of the course due to the failures of those running the course. Knowing the circumstances that they have had to overcome in order to do so well makes me want to hire them because I know that they have the required level of interest, the drive and determination to succeed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

...as this will have a knock on affect on how much time I can allocate to study....

The workload on these courses is very heavy. I would ask to see the dropout rate of mature students on the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I take it you have zero programmings skills at the moment OP?

There are many languages and courses to choose from and it really depends on where you think you want to go with it.

As a complete novice I suppose you should start with the basics and then expand on that. Java is a good start (imo).

I totally understand and agree with what you mean about classroom training, it is much better when you are first entering the field. Later on onine courses and YouTube videos will be good resources.

I found this on google for you but have no clue on how good they are
    http://www.fitzwilliaminstitute.ie/java_programming_courses_dublin_evening_diploma

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Odin project is a good resource that you may want to look at
    http://www.theodinproject.com/introduction-to-web-development/what-a-web-developer-does

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭pillphil

€250 deposit just to apply at ITB?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

National College Of Ireland

https://www.ncirl.ie/Courses/Course-Details?course=BSc-(Honours)-in-Computing-BSHC

I just finished second year of the above course, and its brilliant.

Advertisement