Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving cert ordinary math fail!

Options
  • 13-06-2016 1:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Im doing ordinary level math for the leaving and feel im going to fail it! I really hate school and dont wana repeat! Is there anything I can do besides repeat? Im taking a year out either way and will probably go to fas for an electrician or mechanic so! Iv done paper 1 and paper 2 tomorrow someone help? Im horrible at math and should have took foundation! And also dont wana waist a year for one subject

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭A97

The marking scheme is generally forgiving enough. Just give Paper 2 your best shot and write down everything you think is relevant to the question.

Also, it's late so you should try to get some sleep.

Even if the worst happens, there are always other ways into what you want. Even if you need to repeat, you can spend your free time trying out new things, maybe get a job etc. It's a lot easier to manage one subject than seven or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Dara1990

A97 wrote: »
    The marking scheme is generally forgiving enough. Just give Paper 2 your best shot and write down everything you think is relevant to the question.

Also, it's late so you should try to get some sleep.

Even if the worst happens, there are always other ways into what you want. Even if you need to repeat, you can spend your free time trying out new things, maybe get a job etc. It's a lot easier to manage one subject than seven or so.

Do you think if I attempted everything then I might pass with attempt marks?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Dara1990 wrote: »
    Do you think if I attempted everything then I might pass with attempt marks?

Go in today and try everything you can. Do not leave the exam early.

If you find you are getting stuck, take a bit of a break, maybe draw a small picture on the back page of your answer book, clear your mind of the question you are stuck on and then look at it again afterwards. Do not give up. Everything on that paper has been gone through with you, it's just a question of you relaxing enough to recall it.

Do not leave the exam early - once you've left you will definitely get no more marks.

Do not leave the exam early.

**edit aargh I hope the OP hasn't left the house already.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭itac

Take it from someone who failed maths (and two other subjects!) because I had planned on not bothering with college, if you fail it, that's ok. The sky will not fall, your life will not be over.
    If you want to head into a electrician/mechanic career, is there anyone you/someone you know might know of locally who could show you the ropes somewhat?-be it one evening a week/a Saturday etc. Practical experience in those fields can be invaluable!

On the other hand, I know you say you don't want to repeat, but if You think you could genuinely improve on all your results, then maybe it would be beneficial enough for you to do that? I know another year of your life seems like an eternity right now, but if it sets you on the right path for the next 30-40yrs, it might be worth it!

Either way, don't rush into any decisions based on one result-you may discover in August that you've done incredibly well in everything else. And, even if you haven't, that's ok-just take your time and see how you feel about things. Best of luck this morning and always!

PS- I went back to college at the age of 23 to do a plc/fetac course and then at 25 to do an undergrad in compeletely different things, and nothing like what I'd considered at the age of 18. Am in a full-time job in what i started to study at 25. Life goes on-and sometimes, it even gets better than you'd expected. Mind yourself,xx

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Dara1990

Its all passed I hope! All I need is a pass and hopefully I passed couldnt have got a paper more in my favour! Thanks for all advice and help

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

Maths can be a difficult subject but Electricians need a certain level of Maths which can be done if you have a practical mind. Also you will get a lot more support and coaching in a good trade course than you will get in a 2nd level class room with 30 mad teenagers at a difficult stage of their lives facing a teacher of often doubtful abilities probably burnt out or otherwise dissillusioned with their job.

I did not do well at maths in school but managed to spend 30 yrs in an electronics/ technical job in spite of that. With careful coaching and repeats in my 3rd level courses I managed to pass all my exams.

I wasn't a genius and I was never great at my job and at times it was a real struggle but it paid the bills and kept me alive for 30 years.

Any job requires a minimal level of maths and it only begins to make sense when you put units to the problems and make them real. Amps volts watts etc instead of x y and z which pure maths deals with. Once you get dealing with practical stuff in maths it will become more manageable.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭adam240610

You get a pass with 38% if that helps ease your mind haha

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

adam240610 wrote: »
    You get a pass with 38% if that helps ease your mind haha

is this true?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

I'm an electrician and we have to do maths in every college phase of the apprenticeship, if you hate maths and struggle at it, something to bear in mind. It can be done with effort and time, I'm working with a lad who's qualified but the maths was really tough for him, he got through it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭adam240610

is this true?

Yeah there's a 2% tolerance level

"The points awarded for a given percentage range are given in the table right. In general, a Higher Level grade is worth 40 points more than the equivalent Ordinary Level grade (e.g. a Higher C1 is 70 points, while an Ordinary C1 is 30). No points are awarded for a grade below D3 (40%). However, a D3 may be awarded with a tolerance of up to 2%; a practice in place since the introduction of the grading system in 1969.[4]"
    From wikipedia on the leaving cert.

• Advertisement
Advertisement