Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ironing a cotton overcoat

Options
  • 12-06-2016 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

Howdy

I need to iron a cotton overcoat. The problem that I had, is that even though it's 100% cotton, it's rated as "power setting 1" for ironing purposes.

I have a bit of a problem with that, since my iron doesn't produce steam at that setting, instead it just spills water everywhere and the last time I tried to iron that overcoat with power set to level 1, it was a miserable task, even when I sprayed some water onto it.

Should I obey the label and force my self into the terrible, terrible task of ironing at power 1, or is it safe to turn it up to 3?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,607 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Try wetting a cotton or linen handkerchief (large size) wring it out and lay it on the item you want to iron. Then press gently with a medium iron. (I don't know about the numbers on your iron, but, not hottest, not coolest)
    Start at an inconspicuous place so if it all goes wrong the results won't be TOO visible. I think it will be ok, though. Press while the steam billows, re-dampen the cloth as it dries out. For added caution, just press lightly downwards, don't rub to and fro.

If no harm happens to your cotton coat, you may use a slightly hotter iron, rub a bit more freely, etc.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 CassieLyons

I agree with Katemarch's approach! Try the damp handkerchief way first.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Or you can use a spray bottle to lightly mist before applying the iron.

For the future, its much easier to iron cotton / linen when its still damp from washing.

If you label says cool iron, it may be because of waterproofing or waxing on one side of the cotton. Be very careful ironing if this is the case, you could melt it off or worse, mush it around with the plate on the iron. Test a patch under the sleeve just in case.

Advertisement