Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ford Mondeo Titanium 1.6 Tdci : 2010-11

Options
  • 12-06-2016 9:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭

Hi

I'm looking at buying a 2010 or 2011 Ford Mondeo Titanium 1.6 Tdci .

Does anyone know if these are a good car?? Any problems? And are they reliable , with good mpg rate?

If anyone has had any experience with a similar car, I would be grateful if you shared it.

Would it be as reliable as the Toyota avensis or d4d corolla of the same year??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Lovely car to be in, especially in the titanium spec.

Don't waste your time with the 1.6 - with 115hp it isn't powerful enough for decent poke.
    Try to find a 2.0. It won't cost that awful lot more to buy and it will be a much nicer drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭tcow

Lovely car to be in, especially in the titanium spec.

Don't waste your time with the 1.6 - with 115hp it isn't powerful enough for decent poke.
    Try to find a 2.0. It won't cost that awful lot more to buy and it will be a much nicer drive.

I had a 2l Passat and it gave nothing but trouble. I think a 1.6 might less maintenance??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

Larger engines doesn't mean decreased reliability. You can't equate one manufacturer's engine with another with regards to reliability either. Best to read up online on people's experiences with both engines but an underpowered engine can cause problems

• Registered Users Posts: 51,156 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

tcow wrote: »
    I had a 2l Passat and it gave nothing but trouble. I think a 1.6 might less maintenance??

How did you come to the conclusion that reliability is related to engine size or power?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

bazz26 wrote: »
    How did you come to the conclusion that reliability is related to engine size or power?

More displacement - more room for the devil to hide...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,494 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

So, you had a different engine, from a different manufacturer and this is relevant how??

So, you had a different engine, from a different manufacturer and this is relevant how??

Just my experience, that's all. I'm no expert

Just my experience, that's all. I'm no expert. That's why I posted the question. . . . So the experts can advise otherwise !

TDI 2.0 PD in a Passat was a disaster. CR versions were much better...

2.0 HDI/TDCI is a very good engine.

1.6 HDI/TDCI 16v can be troublesome if abused and incorrectly serviced. Injectors seals get loose and carbon gets into the oil, and later blocks the thin oil pipes to the turbocharger. The problem is much less serious when oil is changed on time - the carbon cannot build up and the car remains heatlhy. This can be completely fixed at the service by sparing 2 minutes and tightening the injector seals with an allen key. Unfortunately hardly any mechanic did/does that...

8v (installed from around 2011-2012) version is much better, the seals are updated, turbo lubrication revised.

Apart from the above problem the 1.6 is a good engine - quiet, economical and pokey enough. It won't win a La Mans, but it's a decent performer.

grogi wrote: »
    TDI 2.0 PD in a Passat was a disaster. CR versions were much better...

2.0 HDI/TDCI is a very good engine...

1.6 HDI/TDCI 16v can be troublesome if abused and incorrectly serviced. Injectors seals get loose and carbon gets into the oil, and later blocks the thin oil pipes to the turbocharger. The problem is much less serious when oil is changed on time - the carbon cannot build up and the car remains heatlhy. This can be completely fixed at the service by sparing 2 minutes and tightening the injector seals with an allen key. Unfortunately hardly any mechanic did/does that...

8v (installed from around 2011-2012) version is much better, the seals are updated, turbo lubrication revised.

Thanks for that. So that would make the Ford Mondeo 1.8tdci Zetec (2010) a good buy?? Was there an issue with the "wet belts" on these?

• Advertisement

tcow wrote:
    Thanks for that. So that would make the Ford Mondeo 1.8tdci Zetec (2010) a good buy?? Was there an issue with the "wet belts" on these?

The 1.8 is a different engine in the early pre facelift mk4 mondeos. There was a 2 belt timing system in these, which were known to snap prematurely. Most are fine though, just make sure that it's been done by the 100k miles mark. If the car hasn't reached that far, then it is an expensive job, costing 600/700 plus depending.

The 1.8 is a different engine in the early pre facelift mk4 mondeos. There was a 2 belt timing system in these, which were known to snap prematurely. Most are fine though, just make sure that it's been done by the 100k miles mark. If the car hasn't reached that far, then it is an expensive job, costing 600/700 plus depending.

The 2010 1.8 tdci mondeo shud be ok then ya, if timing belt has been done ??:confused:

The 2010 1.8 mondeo shud be ok then ya, if timing belt has been done ??:confused:

Ya, I have one, it's an old reliable engine, as long as you have proof the timing belt was done, then it should be plain sailing.

Clutch would be the next major bill, but that should be a good bit down the road on a 100k miles one.

Or wud I b better off go for the 2l avensis???

Or wud I b better off go for the 2l avensis???

I personally don't like them, styling is off compared to the others in the class.

I personally don't like them, styling is off compared to the others in the class.

Would they be more reliable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

I have a Titanium X 2L diesel. brought it in from the UK. Beautiful car to drive but has given me a bit of trouble. Lots of toys on it and really comfortable.

Would they be more reliable?

Couldn't tell you, don't know much about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

1.6 mondeo is not a bad car maybe a little under powered for the size of the car.
    1.8 hesitates a bit on acceleration but its grand once you get used to it but they have the wet belt issues from oct 07 also flywheels can be troublesome.
    2.0 is a much nicer car in my opinion and relativley trouble free it would be my choice out of the engines offered and a far nicer car than an avensis.

The 2010 1.8 tdci mondeo shud be ok then ya, if timing belt has been done ??:confused:

Timing beltSSSSSS... There are two. The issue was that Ford changed the chain into the belt and told nobody...

• Advertisement
Advertisement