Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Directing clinging climber growth

Options
  • 12-06-2016 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've some virginia creeper type climbers settled in in my front garden. Aim is to cover the ugly render but leave the nice brick surrounds around window and door clear.

2 years in and established and happy. Trouble is, the climber is heading north rapidly, and if left to own devices will leave gaps in the lower areas. It's also heading across brick and onto window cills.

Adhesion to wall via little 5 or 6 mini-pads here or there.

I tried gently releasing the top foot or so and sticking the growth onto the wall - in the direction I want it to go - via superglue to an individual leaf. But the leaf dies off and the growth falls away.

What's the proper way to control and direct growth on such a plant?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,208 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You are unlikely to get full cover at the base. Keep trimming off the ends that grow where you don't want them in order to thicken it up and keep it in line. You are creating a monster of time and care!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

looksee wrote: »
    You are unlikely to get full cover at the base. Keep trimming off the ends that grow where you don't want them in order to thicken it up and keep it in line. You are creating a monster of time and care!

Makes a lot of sense! I've a ladder that reaches to gutter. To there and no further...

Thanks.

Advertisement