Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Old tyre disposal

• 12-06-2016 3:59pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭

How do I get rid of a few old tyres I have had knocking about for ages?

The local tyre place will not take them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

When I'm buying new tyres I ask the supplier to dispose of any old tyres I may have hanging about at home. But I expect to have to pay him per tyre - four or five Euro each maybe.
    I don't know whether local rubbish dumps will accept them. You could phone your local council to ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

Sometimes farmers take them for silage pits. The recycling industry seems to have it all sewn up by enforcing a fairly high negative price for them. 4 or 5 seems expensive, I heard of 2.50 each and one tyre place I go to takes them for free

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭tom_k

Farmers making pit silage are allowed to keep old tyres to secure silage pits, I think these tyres are to be obtained from licenced waste permit holders but a farmer may take a small quantity off your hands if he/she needed them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭tom_k

Sometimes farmers take them for silage pits. The recycling industry seems to have it all sewn up by enforcing a fairly high negative price for them. 4 or 5 seems expensive, I heard of 2.50 each and one tyre place I go to takes them for free

Snap! :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Thanks for the information.

I asked a relative who is a farmer with silage and was immediately told - NO, not since we started wrapping the silage and also - disposal is expensive - particularly tractor tyres.

I also found out disposal runs at €2 + vat for car tyres.

So I must pay.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

Isn't there a power station up in one of the Nordic countries that uses old tyres as a fuel? Maybe there is a few bob to be made from chartering a ship and brimming the hold with old tyres because people here must pay to get rid of them and that power station might possibly pay some small amount for its fuel

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

I've been told by 2 tyre companies that it costs them €1 per tyre to get them recycled. Most of them get shipped to Spain to fuel a tyre factory. Try a local community garden they can use them as planters.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,072 ✭✭✭Mech1

i gave 4 away free on adverts, paint them white and you could get a few quid.

Advertised them as a Potato growing tower, gone in 2 hours!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Mech1 wrote: »
    i gave 4 away free on adverts, paint them white and you could get a few quid.

Advertised them as a Potato growing tower, gone in 2 hours!

Awesome!

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭racersedge

Another suggestion to go along with offering them as planters. Your local creche if you have one might take a fancy to them either. We have about eight in our garden and the kids love them - between building towers; rolling them; hiding in them or given that we have a few wide ones - sitting in them. Amazing how interested the kids are in them. Such a setting may even be able use them for planters in their garden or small gravel pits for the kids to play in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Stigura

Old car tyre makes a brilliant rat baiting station.

Lay tyre down. Put a bit of baton under it, to let them find easy entry. Put bait inside rim. Board over the hole and a breeze block on that. Keeps the bait secure and covered.

Rats get in. Plenty of grub. And they can sit upright, eating it, as they like to do.

Rats are used to old tyres, see? Encounter them all the time.

I mean; I know it's not exactly getting rid of the things. But, it's a bloody good reuse of one or two.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Stigura wrote: »
    Old car tyre makes a brilliant rat baiting station.

Lay tyre down. Put a bit of baton under it, to let them find easy entry. Put bait inside rim. Board over the hole and a breeze block on that. Keeps the bait secure and covered.

Rats get in. Plenty of grub. And they can sit upright, eating it, as they like to do.

Rats are used to old tyres, see? Encounter them all the time.

I mean; I know it's not exactly getting rid of the things. But, it's a bloody good reuse of one or two.

Would you like a few? - for free?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Stigura

'Unfortunately', Sam, I'm retired now. I leave people to deal with their own rats :)

Put the word about though. Know anyone keeping chickens? Rat magnets they are. Tyre trick's ideal for that situation.

Here's a posh version ~ priced accordingly, I assure ye! :eek:

http://www.killgerm.com/onlinecatalogue/rodent-vertebrate-control/rat-bait-stations/af-tyre-baiter

Advertisement