Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New waste disposal charges

Options
  • 12-06-2016 12:24pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,434 Mod ✭✭✭✭

New charges were due to take effect from July 1st but appear to be cancelled.

What is behind this? More populism?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,961 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Neoliberalism I'd say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Edward Hopper

Was that the pay by weight idea, or are there other charges on the table?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,434 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭meforever

In the short term, this new pay by weight system will encourage the general public to reduce and recycle. ( the burden on their pocket being the motivation at this point!) In the medium to long term I could envisage "good neighbours" in urban areas sharing bins as skyrocketing costs take root. The people that cannot afford the service will fill the street bins outside the local retailers or worse!!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,283 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

New charges were due to take effect from July 1st but appear to be cancelled.

Have all the charges been cancelled? I thought it was just for the green bins?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

The charge for the green bin was cancelled...but for example my yearly bin collections will go up by 45% now..a load of rubbish if you ask me

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,434 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Zaph wrote: »
    Have all the charges been cancelled? I thought it was just for the green bins?

You are probably right. I just caught an announcement and could have misheard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭vickers209

Maybe this thread should be moved from bargain alerts

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057535018&page=10

Be better suited to this new forum

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

GHOST MGG wrote: »
    The charge for the green bin was cancelled...but for example my yearly bin collections will go up by 45% now..a load of rubbish if you ask me

Do you divide and separate your waste prior to disposing of it? Are you familiar with your local recycling centre?

My only waste now that is not recycled is compostable food waste and a very small amount of toiletries waste.

Just curious as to what the make up of what your waste is and if you could reduce the cost?

Advertisement