Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading my PC

Options
  • 12-06-2016 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

So I have this PC and I'm looking to upgrade it.

Processor - AMD FX-4170 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor
    Motherboard - MSI 760GM-P21 (FX) Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard
    Memory - Kingston 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

Storage - Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
    Seagate Surveillance HDD 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card - XFX Radeon HD 6670 2GB Video Card
    Case - CiT Vantage ATX Mid Tower Case
    Power Supply- ACE 500W BR PSU
    Optical Drive - LG GH24NSC0 DVD/CD Writer
    Wireless Network Adapter - TP-Link TL-WDN3800 PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter

My budget is roughly 400 but it's relatively flexible. If it's less, great! If it's more, I'll think about it. Currently it's struggling with the likes of Overwatch and I'd like to be able to play these in a high resolution at a decent fps ( 40+ preferably ).

I was looking at getting the AMD 480 at the end of the month, but I don't know enough about CPU's to have a preference. Any advice you can give would be great!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Processer is quite weak but for Overwatch it's perfectly fine.

I'd keep an eye on a new PC rather than an upgrade because the whole system is built with cheap parts and is fairly low-spec and on an outdated platform - but for now, I think something as simple as a new GTX750Ti for €120 would work wonders for you and let you play the game at 1080p high settings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Personally I'd hold off and look at the Rx480 - you can then look to switch out the mainboard and processor once you save up a bit more although it's not strictly necessary.

Personally for that I'd wait and see what Zen (AMD's new processor range) does to the market.

I agree with Terror's general thrust though that your main issue is the GPU.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Crystalbeam

Personally I'd hold off and look at the Rx480 - you can then look to switch out the mainboard and processor once you save up a bit more although it's not strictly necessary.

Personally for that I'd wait and see what Zen (AMD's new processor range) does to the market.

I agree with Terror's general thrust though that your main issue is the GPU.

Ah well that's great then! I thought that it was both holding the PC back. I'll start with the GPU, see how it runs over the next while.

Thanks to both of you for the advice!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

To be 100% clear the CPU will be holding the PC back, but I'd say it can wait rather than trying to do both upgrades now for €400.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It will hold it back to a point but the GPU is so ancient that it's the massive bottleneck in this scenario.

Playing Overwatch I would imagine with a GTX750Ti you would be looking at 1080p mid-high settings at 60fps, whereas the 6670 would be looking at 1080p lowest settings at a fairly low framerate.

The FX4170 would show it's weakness far more in CPU heavy titles, but Overwatch doesn't really fit into that category. An Fx4170 and GTX750Ti is a pretty good match overall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I'd also look at spending the extra €30 over a 750ti and buying a GTX 950.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-nvidia-geforce-gtx-950-review

Advertisement