Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeat Leaving Cert questions

Options
  • 12-06-2016 3:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭

I originally did my leaving cert in 2002, and did Irish and Maths at foundation level and got a D3 in both due to lack of study/trying. I feel I'm in a much better place now and can do much better. Is it possible to get good grades in ordinary or even higher (especially in maths) after all this time?

I'm hoping to study Irish, English, Maths, French, Economics and Biology (a local school offers LC Biology classes at night for a fee, so I'd study Biology there).

I've always loved science at school and I'd love to study it at third level.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,247 ✭✭✭✭endacl

There's absolutely zero need to put yourself through a leaving cert year to progress. You're, what, 14 years since secondary school? You have your LC done. There are other options available if you'd like to progress to studying science at 3rd level. There are plenty of Plc courses offered that you could do instead. Many institutions offer foundation courses in various fields.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭reason vs religion

endacl wrote: »
    There's absolutely zero need to put yourself through a leaving cert year to progress. You're, what, 14 years since secondary school? You have your LC done. There are other options available if you'd like to progress to studying science at 3rd level. There are plenty of Plc courses offered that you could do instead. Many institutions offer foundation courses in various fields.

Unless it's a long-standing regret for the OP. Redoing the LC could be good for confidence and self esteem.

That said, I think it's very challenging to motivate oneself to study a single subject without supervision, let alone five. Everyone can do it for a month! The challenge is in maintaining the motivation, being able to cover the last ten percent of topics that is disproportionately harder, being able to transition from studying to revising. Higher Maths from Foundation would be a very big task in itself, and Ordinary would still be hard. English without someone to correct your work - both in providing motivation and giving criticism - also daunting (though less so if taking Ordinary).

If you are to do it, my advice would be to take as many optional subjects as possible (Geography, Business, Religion, etc), as they're generally easier than the core ones with two papers. (Be conscious though that Geography, and possible Religion, have project components that need to be signed off by a teacher.) But, I would agree with @endacl that there are more beneficial and realisable pursuits than repeating the LC.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭_Godot_

The reason I'm going for the repeat LC is that I'm a carer for my elderly father. I don't have the time during the day for a plc course. I appreciate the advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

_Godot_ wrote: »
    I originally did my leaving cert in 2002, and did Irish and Maths at foundation level and got a D3 in both due to lack of study/trying. I feel I'm in a much better place now and can do much better. Is it possible to get good grades in ordinary or even higher (especially in maths) after all this time?

I'm hoping to study Irish, English, Maths, French, Economics and Biology (a local school offers LC Biology classes at night for a fee, so I'd study Biology there).

I've always loved science at school and I'd love to study it at third level.

Like the others have said, you would be better off forgetting about the leaving cert at this stage as it would take you a long time to get that science degree. If I was you, I would contact the adult education office of whatever college/university close to you and they would advise you better. You could also study one or two nights a week and would be a lot easier for you. I studied French in the evening for three years and I loved it. The classes were small and the teaching staff were brilliant. Also ask about the access programme whereby you have an interview and if successful you do a sort of foundation to third level before starting a degree which brings you up to scratch and as far as I know they follow you through to graduation - this would be more beneficial to you. Fair play to you for going back to education but I would advise you to forget about the leaving and do some something you really want to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

What an absolute waste of time the lc is forgotten by those who attend college in September and those who don't will have dropped it from their cv in 4 years time.

Find something that you are passionate about and study that are loads of online or via mail courses

• Advertisement
Advertisement