Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

!! Art History 2016 - Before and After

Options
  • 11-06-2016 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Literally haven't learned anything for art history yet.. Could anyone give me any idea of anything they think would be coming up or some safe options to study??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭ConorD21

Im going for book of kells, newgrange, impressionism, michelangelo and cubism

• Registered Users Posts: 5 eviejean22

For irish art im hoping itll be newgrange but ill also have a bronze age and iron age essay prepared. For the european romanesque and gothic comes up almost every year so ive learnt those with impressionism just in case (Id like to have renaissance stuff prepared too but I dont have the time!!) And for the art appreciation id like to do the product design q and if not itll be the museum/gallery one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭ConorD21

I think bronze age and renaissance came up last year so the chances are slim

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭currooney

I've been neglecting art history so much! I'll probably learn Stone Age, Bronze Age, Iron Age and manuscripts for Irish then just Romanesque and Gothic for European since one of the two always comes up!

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭MomijiHime

Georgian architecture seems to always come up as does Gothic and Romanesque.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Literally haven't learned anything for art history yet.. Could anyone give me any idea of anything they think would be coming up or some safe options to study??
    Im convinced Manet is coming up, so i watched this last night and found it helpful
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBf82DUyNko

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Kebababs

Bronze age, Newgrange
    Raphael, Masaccio, Caravaggio and Della francesca
    Gallery

Thats my plan anyway, I feel like we have covered too many topics in too little detail :( Are the architecture questions a sure thing or is it a different building every year? Too late to go back now anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 pseudorachel

So how did it go for everyone? I thought it was lovely.

I did the Bronze Age question, which was nice, I could talk about any objects I wanted.
    I panicked a bit with I first saw the European section because I didn't see anything I recognised, until I saw the Impressionist one. It was actually a good question, just describing the painting and then any other Impressionist painting I wanted.
    The gallery question was typical , it was fine.

Overall I'm happy with it and so were everyone else in my class!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 red.velvet

So how did it go for everyone? I thought it was lovely.

I did the Bronze Age question, which was nice, I could talk about any objects I wanted.
    I panicked a bit with I first saw the European section because I didn't see anything I recognised, until I saw the Impressionist one. It was actually a good question, just describing the painting and then any other Impressionist painting I wanted.
    The gallery question was typical , it was fine.

Overall I'm happy with it and so were everyone else in my class!

So our year were pretty much in the same boat with the bronze age and impressionist one, do you think it was alright to not have studied (or even seen) the painting before? Some people in my class didn't even know she painted until she came up so we're all a little thrown right now. Our art teacher went through literally every impressionist under those headings and their works except for hers :/

But other than that I thought it was lovely, just a little pressed for time at the end. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 pseudorachel

red.velvet wrote: »
    So our year were pretty much in the same boat with the bronze age and impressionist one, do you think it was alright to not have studied (or even seen) the painting before? Some people in my class didn't even know she painted until she came up so we're all a little thrown right now. Our art teacher went through literally every impressionist under those headings and their works except for hers :/

But other than that I thought it was lovely, just a little pressed for time at the end. :)

We never saw the painting either. It was more to show that we recognise the traits of Impressionism even in an unseen painting. Especially when they didn't ask for a second painting from her, they weren't expecting us to know her in detail. As long as ye talked about the traits of Impressionism (loose brushstrokes, modern subject matter etc) and applied it to the painting you'll be fine! The SEC is just trying to change things up a bit and make it less predictable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 red.velvet

We never saw the painting either. It was more to show that we recognise the traits of Impressionism even in an unseen painting. Especially when they didn't ask for a second painting from her, they weren't expecting us to know her in detail. As long as ye talked about the traits of Impressionism (loose brushstrokes, modern subject matter etc) and applied it to the painting you'll be fine! The SEC is just trying to change things up a bit and make it less predictable.

Thanks a million, that's pretty much what we all did, that puts my mind at ease - thank you again!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭currooney

Lovely paper! I did manuscripts and the Romanesque question, for anyone that did Romanesque did you discuss more than sculpture from your named church?

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭MomijiHime

I answered the Georgian architecture question but I said that he designed The Parliament House when he didn't... will I get any marks for describing the parliament house? I also briefly discussed the two building he actually did design and listed off a load of Georgian architecture traits/facts.

Advertisement