Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HL maths paper 2 question

Options
  • 11-06-2016 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Are any proofs, Theroms or constructions particularly relevant for Monday that I should learn tomorrow?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭A97

I don't think anything particularly stands out. You should probably know all of the Leaving Cert constructions as they are a bit more likely to come up than the ones you learned for Junior Cert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 855 ✭✭✭TSMGUY

am I the only one skipping the constructions/proofs? It seems like an awful lot of rote learning and memorization for practically no marks (question 6 is only 4% of the exam)

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Giotar

TSMGUY wrote: »
    am I the only one skipping the constructions/proofs? It seems like an awful lot of rote learning and memorization for practically no marks (question 6 is only 4% of the exam)

And 2% of the whole thing, which can easily be the difference in a grade. Very easy 2% if you sit down for just an hour and learn them

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭skippy1977

Giotar wrote: »
    And 2% of the whole thing, which can easily be the difference in a grade. Very easy 2% if you sit down for just an hour and learn them

Not sure where ye are getting your numbers....last year 13% of Paper 2 was for the 2 proofs and and the construction....

2014 13% of Paper 2 also...

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Giotar

skippy1977 wrote: »
    Not sure where ye are getting your numbers....last year 13% of Paper 2 was for the 2 proofs and and the construction....

Got my numbers from the dude I quoted. He's right that Q6 is worth 4% of P2. You're just backing up my point even further that it's most definitely worth learning off those proofs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 855 ✭✭✭TSMGUY

"Very easy" is quite an exaggeration. To me it's just blends into a very boring and unmemorable mesh of cos, tan and sin's. I think the time spent trying to cram these formulas is better spent on probability and geometry theory.

2014 13% of Paper 2 also...
    I led him astray there!
    Got my numbers from the dude I quoted. He's right that Q6 is worth 4% of P2. You're just backing up my point even further that it's most definitely worth learning off those proofs.

It's guy, not dude :D

Quick run down of what I would make sure to learn. Like I said above, these rote proofs and constructions have been worth on average 13% of Paper 2 the last number of years.

3 Geometry Proofs (11 to 13) - 2015 (T11) 2014 (T13) 2011 (T11) 2010 (T11)
    Constructions 16 to 22 - 2015 (Centroid) 2014 (Angle of 60) 2013 (Orthocentre) 2012 (Angle of 60) 2010 (Incircle)
    8 Trig Proofs - 2015 (Tan A+B) 2014 (cos 2A) 2013 (Sine Rule)

They can be left out, people may get attempt marks by trying something but learning them (whilst time consuming) will ensure full marks if asked. I had a student was 7 marks out of 600 off an A last year....got 4/15 in the Tan (A+B) proof...I'm not big into rote learning, but I wish I had made him learn that!!

If there is anyone interested in a document with them all in the one place PM me and I can forward on what I give out.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭TooMuchWork

Quick run down of what I would make sure to learn. Like I said above, these rote proofs and constructions have been worth on average 13% of Paper 2 the last number of years.

Constructions 16 to 22 - 2015 (Centroid) 2014 (Angle of 60) 2013 (Orthocentre) 2012 (Angle of 60) 2010 (Incircle)

They can be left out, people may get attempt marks by trying something but learning them (whilst time consuming) will ensure full marks if asked. I had a student was 7 marks out of 600 off an A last year....got 4/15 in the Tan (A+B) proof...I'm not big into rote learning, but I wish I had made him learn that!!

If there is anyone interested in a document with them all in the one place PM me and I can forward on what I give out.

Could you PM it to me? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭DownOneTourist

Yes please!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 mark 6910

Could you PM me too?Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Tomk_1111

Pm if you can, thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

IMPORTANT

For theorem 12, I got told the department changed it for this year. It's the first year of this new version of the theorem.

So, I found three versions of theorem 12, but which one do I learn?

I haven't heard of them 'changing' the proof as such. There are a couple of versions. Each text book probably has minor variations and I think if you have it learned one way at this stage stick with it. This is the version on the Projects Maths site..it's horrible to look at and has some difficult notation but if people were very worried here ya go....

http://www.projectmaths.ie/documents/LCActivities/Theorem12Proof.ppsx

• Registered Users Posts: 21 mark 6910

IMPORTANT

For theorem 12, I got told the department changed it for this year. It's the first year of this new version of the theorem.

So, I found three versions of theorem 12, but which one do I learn?

Theorem 12?? You only learn 4,6,9,14,19 I thought?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

mark 6910 wrote: »

Wooah??!?!???

I got told only 11, 12 and 13.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭onlinenerd

Pretty sure its 11,12 and 13 but 11 came up last here

Those theorems are for the JC Higher Level. I wouldn't be surprised if one year they through one in...but I'd concentrate on 11,12,13

• Registered Users Posts: 45 daveytheravey

Did people learn off root 2 is irrational for their prove by contradiction?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Tomk_1111

They're paper 1 arent they?

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭A97

They can be pretty mean with the marking scheme to be fair but the theorem 12 I learned last year proved the theorem. I can't understand how you would be marked down for proving something, even if it's not the method they expected this year.

At this point, I wouldn't learn a different proof if you already know the 'old' one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement