Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

present for my partner

Options
  • 11-06-2016 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hi everyone next Wednesday is my partner's birthday , he'll turn 27 :) And he loved to take pictures so for christmas I bought him a Nikon D3300 and for his birthday I've got him a new lens :

Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Lens

Because I dont know anything about photos ... Do you think that is a good present ?

I went to a store they advised me to take that .

His current lens is : AF-S NIKKOR 18-55 mm Nikon DX VR 1:3.5-5.6G II

(Dont even know what that means)

Do you think he will be happy ?

Thanks for you replies .

Clement D

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,133 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what sort of photos does he like to take?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭barry1708

Hi :) thanks for your reply.

He likes bunch of stuff but mostly landscapes :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,133 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

my initial reaction would be that the lens will give him a bit more reach at the long end, and has the vibration reduction, but half the zoom range is already covered by his existing lens; and he doesn't really gain any extra aperture with the new lens (i.e. the lens won't allow any more control of depth of field than the previous one).

my advice here would be keep the receipt so he can exchange in the same shop for a different lens - always hard to tell what a photographer would like if you're not a photographer yourself; he may like the idea of a decent wide lens, or want something with a large aperture.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭barry1708

thanks one again for your reply so yes that is what i'll do then he could change it if that does not suits him.

Thanks for your help / advise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭BreadnBuddha

A good quality tripod would do more for him if he's into taking landscapes with his existing camera body and lens.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Fairly much the same lens except a slightly longer zoom range.

The advice of keeping the receipt is good.

Advertisement