Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any other freelance ghostwriters/copywriters out there?

Options
  • 11-06-2016 11:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the right forum for this so mods feel free to move.

I've done a few bits of ghostwriting and copywriting over the last few years. Mainly short non fiction ebooks and online content/articles. I was using freelancer.com and peopleper hour.com for a while but became disheartened with the ridiculously low rate of pay for most jobs so I stopped altogether for a while. However, I've taken it up again recently and opened and account with upwork.com, where employers seem to willing to pay more for good quality writing.

I do enjoy freelancing, although it can become a bit tedious, and you don't always get to write about interesting topics that you are passionate about. For some reason, I find myself more motivated to write like this (when I have been hired and have a deadline) than if I were working on my own fiction. Currently I'm only doing a few hours a week but thinking of increasing my workload if I can find a few regular contracts.

It's a fairly solitary job and there doesn't seem to be many forums/resources out there for support. Anyone else out there??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭wigsa100

Not sure if this is the right forum for this so mods feel free to move.

I've done a few bits of ghostwriting and copywriting over the last few years. Mainly short non fiction ebooks and online content/articles. I was using freelancer.com and peopleper hour.com for a while but became disheartened with the ridiculously low rate of pay for most jobs so I stopped altogether for a while. However, I've taken it up again recently and opened and account with upwork.com, where employers seem to willing to pay more for good quality writing.

I do enjoy freelancing, although it can become a bit tedious, and you don't always get to write about interesting topics that you are passionate about. For some reason, I find myself more motivated to write like this (when I have been hired and have a deadline) than if I were working on my own fiction. Currently I'm only doing a few hours a week but thinking of increasing my workload if I can find a few regular contracts.

It's a fairly solitary job and there doesn't seem to be many forums/resources out there for support. Anyone else out there??

Hi Gavin Skinny Thumbtack, I just came across your post and thought I'd reply. I'm not a ghostwriter, but have been working as a freelance journalist in addition to my main job for a couple of years now. I recently discovered upwork and have created a profile with a view to hopefully starting in the near future. How have you found using upwork?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

Any update on how Upwork is working out for you? I'm considering trying some freelancing, particularly in the area of grant writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 bigblackstar

Hello all!

I've just started freelancing and it would be great to have some support and share experiences, tips, and thoughts.

In the past few days I've been offered some work writing online content (blogs, newsletters, etc.) and I have no idea what to charge!:confused:

Would anyone PM with an idea of what might be reasonable?

Thanks. Happy writing!!

Thomas

Advertisement