Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

!! Ordinary level Maths Paper 2 - Before and after

Options
  • 11-06-2016 12:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Are there any topics that come up on paper2 ordinarly level maths every single year or if not is very common. I feel like paper 1 went very well but because i have no clue what could come up at all any advice whatsoever would be greatly appreciated.

Dunno if anyone has a post on ol irish paper 1 either but any tips on that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Seanmul89

Hey guys, seen some of you talking about the complex number question, at the start I got 5+i or something but I went back to it and thought it was wrong and made a change to my answer, it seems that my original answer was right because everyone I talked to got it, do you's think I'll still get some marks? Stupid I am lol

• Registered Users Posts: 6 MashedPotato49

Pen or pencil?

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Seanmul89

Pen or pencil?

Yeh all in pen, I just put a line through it, kicking myself now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 lc16_

Seanmul89 wrote: »
    Hey guys, seen some of you talking about the complex number question, at the start I got 5+i or something but I went back to it and thought it was wrong and made a change to my answer, it seems that my original answer was right because everyone I talked to got it, do you's think I'll still get some marks? Stupid I am lol

As long as that answer is still legible to read after you put a light line through it, the examiner may give you the marks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Lucky Leprechaun

I dropped maths on the day, Could anyone tell me what "Geometry (Proofs and Constructions)" I need to know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭skippy1977

I dropped maths on the day, Could anyone tell me what "Geometry (Proofs and Constructions)" I need to know?

Same constructions except you don't need number 22. No learned proofs or theorems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭user53

That was grand, not as easy as paper 1 though, anyone know which triangle you coundn't construct? That's the only question I didn't know and had to guess :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Jxmie_

user53 wrote: »
    That was grand, not as easy as paper 1 though, anyone know which triangle you coundn't construct? That's the only question I didn't know and had to guess :confused:

I guessed 2. Thinking of it now, I should have used pythagoras' theorem to prove it ;/

• Registered Users Posts: 11 red.velvet

I'm pretty sure it was triangle 2 as the hypotheneuse (15) was huge in comparison to the other two sides (7,6) it would have been close to impossible to join the sides up.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Johno2474

Not as nice of a paper like the first one and did anyone realise that the long question 7,8,9 where much easier than short qs??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 Bangdiggy

red.velvet wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure it was triangle 2 as the hypotheneuse (15) was huge in comparison to the other two sides (7,6) it would have been close to impossible to join the sides up.

ya it was Triangle 2...since the sum of length of any two sides has to be bigger than the third side and 6+7=13 which is less than 15

There's two questions I don't know if i'm correct 1: write 165billion as scientific notation, did you guys get 1.65x10^11?
    and the last question you had to fine Angle QFB or something...I got 17 degrees doubt it's right

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Bangdiggy wrote: »
    There's two questions I don't know if i'm correct 1: write 165billion as scientific notation, did you guys get 1.65x10^11?
    and the last question you had to fine Angle QFB or something...I got 17 degrees doubt it's right
    i
    I naswered the same as you for the 165 billion question but i got a figure higher than 17 for QFB and trig is one of my strong points

• Registered Users Posts: 18 thebignoize

For the Triangle construction I used only a protractor and measured it out with no compass....would that be ok ?

Plus the area of the metal cylinders connecting the balls, did you take the area of the circle at each end included in over all area ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭user53

For the Triangle construction I used only a protractor and measured it out with no compass....would that be ok ?

Plus the area of the metal cylinders connecting the balls, did you take the area of the circle at each end included in over all area ?

I didn't use a compass either as the question didn't say to, I drew a line along the bottom (7cm?) then drew a line off from one end of that line at 50 degrees, I then measured 4.5cm I think along the line that's 50 degrees away and connected that point to the other end of the 7cm line. I'm not 100% sure this is right but I think it is, did you do similar?

And no I didn't include the circle as that's not really exposed it's like touching the metal balls, again I am not 100%, did you include? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 thebignoize

I did the exact same as yourself on both questions...

That's good so. Yeah my triangle measured out fine....but it just seemed so easy, compared to other constructions, but if that's right then happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

I didn't use a compass either as the question didn't say to, I drew a line along the bottom (7cm?) then drew a line off from one end of that line at 50 degrees, I then measured 4.5cm I think along the line that's 50 degrees away and connected that point to the other end of the 7cm line. I'm not 100% sure this is right but I think it is, did you do similar?

And no I didn't include the circle as that's not really exposed it's like touching the metal balls, again I am not 100%, did you include? :)
    I didnt count the ends as it said cylindrical "pipes"
    i hope i was correct now
    heres the question
    The curved surfaces of the 20 pipes and 9 spheres are covered in stainless steel. Stainless steel costs €70 per square metre. Use the areas you have calculated or have been given above to find the approximate cost of the stainless steel required to resurface the Atomium.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Lunaforwan

Jxmie_ wrote: »
    I guessed 2. Thinking of it now, I should have used pythagoras' theorem to prove it ;/

i did it out on the spare pages using a compass and a straight edge. the second one wouldnt reach correctly

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

ya it was Triangle 2...since the sum of length of any two sides has to be bigger than the third side and 6+7=13 which is less than 15

That's correct,

165 billion = 165 thousand million, so 165,000,000,000 so 11 decimal places

1.65 x 10^11

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Bangdiggy

That's correct,

165 billion = 165 thousand million, so 165,000,000,000 so 11 decimal places

1.65 x 10^11
    What did u get fr the angle?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

What did u get fr the angle?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Lmcc98

I'm not great at maths and I'm freaking out a bit thinking that I'm going to fail. Especially since everyone thinks the paper was so easy I'm so scared it'll be marked harder now. Was wondering if anyone would know that if was able to get a few questions right and attempted everything else and sometimes using the right method but not getting the right answer would that be enough for me to scrape a pass? All I need is a pass and I'll be over the moon :'( #scared #help

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

They dont mark it harder because people thought it was easy.

Yeah you dont need to get the correct answer to get any marks. If you got some right and all others attempted id imagine you'll get the 38.

Advertisement