Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clothing in Lanzarote

Options
  • 10-06-2016 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭

Hi

I'm travelling later this month to Lanzarote/Puerto del Carmen.
    It's going to be hot during the days but what about the nights.
    How warm is it during June?
    Do people wear shorts and top in the evening or trousers and shirt?
    And if its shorts would there be any issue in getting into pubs?
    All answers appreciated!

Happy Monday :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,345 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

In PDC everyone is casually dressed all day, don't worry your head about being refused anywhere. There is a very nice restaurant in the old town where people tend to dress up a small bit but even T-shirt and shorts wouldn't raise any eyebrows there and you certainly will not get refused in any pub, there's dozens of them, a lot of them are nothing but a retail unit (hole in the wall) with stone floors and none of them can afford to turn business away purely on what you're wearing.

It's a family holiday resort, the last thing they want to get is a reputation for snobbery and strict dress codes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,928 ✭✭✭dodzy

Hi

I'm travelling later this month to Lanzarote/Puerto del Carmen.
    It's going to be hot during the days but what about the nights.
    How warm is it during June?
    Do people wear shorts and top in the evening or trousers and shirt?
    All answers appreciated!

Happy Monday :)

I've been there twice. Breezy in the evening from time to time. Hot during the day. Personally, if I'm out at night I wear light pants and a polo shirt but its purely a personal choice. As Coylemj says, you'll have zero issues with admission anywhere, unless you go topless. Enjoy it ;)

A word on pubs ...... it appears to be very easy to get a licence so there are dozens of tiny pubs all over the place, many of them run by Brits and Paddies. You can get beer and wine in all of the little pizza restaurants and you can stay there just drinking when you've finished your food so you may end up never going into a pure pub i.e.a place which only sells beer.

When I was in PDC last I think we only went into one pub, it was a grubby little kip and for entertainment, there was a bunch of drunk, fat lads from NI having a loud argument amongst themselves so we knocked back our drink and quickly departed. Despite what Dodzy said above, that place would have no problem serving you if you were topless given that a lot of their customers were more than happy to show off their multiple tattoos. I'm a lad who's sat on many a high stool but most of the pubs in PDC are not nice places. If you want to go somewhere quiet just for a drink and don't want to be surrounded by families munching pizzas or tattooed larger louts swilling pints, the bar in the Hotel Fariones would be worth a visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

coylemj wrote: »
    A word on pubs...

Thanks for all that advice!

Can I confirm that it would be warm enough at 11pm-2am to be travelling back to the hotel in a casual pair of shorts and t-shirt?

No need for other layers or jeans then?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

At this time of the year, be grand. A bit of a breeze maybe but hot. Bring a light top just to be sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

dodzy wrote: »
    I've been there twice. Breezy in the evening from time to time. Hot during the day. Personally, if I'm out at night I wear light pants and a polo shirt but its purely a personal choice. As Coylemj says, you'll have zero issues with admission anywhere, unless you go topless. Enjoy it ;)

Thanks for the heads up - just to confirm that if i wear casual shorts and a polo shirt i will still be warm in the early hours in the taxi back to the hotel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Thanks for all that advice!

Can I confirm that it would be warm enough at 11pm-2am to be travelling back to the hotel in a casual pair of shorts and t-shirt?

No need for other layers or jeans then?
    Do not bring jeans or any heavy clothing. Not even a sweatshirt. You won't wear them and they will take up luggage space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

Thanks for the heads up - just to confirm that if i wear casual shorts and a polo shirt i will still be warm in the early hours in the taxi back to the hotel?

I was in PDC last August and it was plenty warm at night to go out in a nice short sleeved shirt, shorts and nice trainers.

You're asking for a weather forecast, there is no end of websites which will give you the daily max and min temperatures provided you leave it until a few days beforehand.

Asking people here 'will it be warm in (month x)' makes no sense, check the forecasts a few days before you travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭NATLOR

pablo128 wrote: »
    Do not bring jeans or any heavy clothing. Not even a sweatshirt. You won't wear them and they will take up luggage space.

Good advice.took me years to get out of the habit of bringing 'just in case' clothes that never got worn :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,928 ✭✭✭dodzy

You'll miss your bloody flight at this rate. Just pack light and enjoy yourself. If you post here again before you fly, I'll find you, and I will....... You know the rest:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Dont mean to butt in, but can we elaborate a bit on Puerto Del Carmen. Am going with the family on the 21st June. Any tips or anything ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Do the tour of the island, up to the volcanoes etc. Well worth the time.

I am used to Tenerife, doing Lanzarote for a change this time. So far, it appears there aint a whole lot to interest me there. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭GY A1

I am used to Tenerife, doing Lanzarote for a change this time. So far, it appears there aint a whole lot to interest me there. :(

Why
    Is there more in Tenerife

GY A1 wrote: »
    Why
    Is there more in Tenerife

Hope not. I like to go out and explore. There is not a huge amount of info online.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

Hope not. I like to go out and explore. There is not a huge amount of info online.
    Re clothing, to reiterate on what everyone else has said, shorts and tee shirts/polos will do you fine almost everywhere. Only place where I'd feel inclined to dress "up" is in Puerto Calero if you're going to Amura and even then I just wore linen trousers and a nice shirt.

If you like to go out and explore, hire a car and spread your sight seeing over a few days. It's really cheap to hire a car - check out Omnicars Lanzarote on Facebook - it's an unconventional way to hire a car, but I did it last year and can strongly recommend them. If you prefer to do something online, PlusCars and Cabrera Medina are great and I've used both of those too. Doing an Island Tour as an excursion is just a waste of a day, IMHO as you really only skim the surface of what the Island has to offer.

Eponymous wrote: »
    Re clothing, to reiterate on what everyone else has said, shorts and tee shirts/polos will do you fine almost everywhere. Only place where I'd feel inclined to dress "up" is in Puerto Calero if you're going to Amura and even then I just wore linen trousers and a nice shirt.

If you like to go out and explore, hire a car and spread your sight seeing over a few days. It's really cheap to hire a car - check out Omnicars Lanzarote on Facebook - it's an unconventional way to hire a car, but I did it last year and can strongly recommend them. If you prefer to do something online, PlusCars and Cabrera Medina are great and I've used both of those too. Doing an Island Tour as an excursion is just a waste of a day, IMHO as you really only skim the surface of what the Island has to offer.

Thanks for that. I have sent omnicars a facebook message. I like pluscars, bit thick some times, but ok. Have used them twice in Tenerife.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

Thanks for that. I have sent omnicars a facebook message. I like pluscars, bit thick some times, but ok. Have used them twice in Tenerife.
    Sometimes Omnicars will give you a car from PlusCars. Last year we'd booked a Qashqai through OmniCars and when Harry met us at the airport with the car, it was a PlusCar but the agreement etc was all with Omnicars.

As the price is fully inclusive you can pay cash if you like when you collect the car. Nice choice to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭flutered

coylemj wrote: »
    A word on pubs ...... it appears to be very easy to get a licence so there are dozens of tiny pubs all over the place, many of them run by Brits and Paddies. You can get beer and wine in all of the little pizza restaurants and you can stay there just drinking when you've finished your food so you may end up never going into a pure pub i.e.a place which only sells beer.

When I was in PDC last I think we only went into one pub, it was a grubby little kip and for entertainment, there was a bunch of drunk, fat lads from NI having a loud argument amongst themselves so we knocked back our drink and quickly departed. Despite what Dodzy said above, that place would have no problem serving you if you were topless given that a lot of their customers were more than happy to show off their multiple tattoos. I'm a lad who's sat on many a high stool but most of the pubs in PDC are not nice places. If you want to go somewhere quiet just for a drink and don't want to be surrounded by families munching pizzas or tattooed larger louts swilling pints, the bar in the Hotel Fariones would be worth a visit.

it not that bad, you have the usual uk and irish pubs, but there are many many fine drinking places there, one tip, many were trying to give german p1ss as lager, make sure you get the local or dutch beers, plenty of guinness, hotel there i cannot think of its name used to have a free show each inght from 8-10, across the road tqhere are two irish pubs, the dubliner and the ned kelly, i spent many the happy night in the latter, the sing song did not start until an hour after the free show acros the road, there are two eateries down in the old town one is very busy serving massive steaks, a spanish on across the road is excellent, they have a fantastic sauce with their chichen dish, go use your eyes and enjoy, i have been there five time that should tell you something, as i am disabled and need motorised transport to get around, there is a quaint brit pub up in the hill, a fantastic place, with a chipper next door

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,651 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

I'm living in PDC atm and we've gone out in cardigans most nights, but temperatures are going past 30 next week so I think by the time you're over here, there'll be no need for any heavy clothes.

I'm living in PDC atm and we've gone out in cardigans most nights, but temperatures are going past 30 next week so I think by the time you're over here, there'll be no need for any heavy clothes.

Hey buddy, any new tips? Flying in tuesday afternoon and staying in PDC. Granny, wife and two kids. Anything on this week of interest? Took the advice of another poster above and hired from Omnicars.

Looking for ideas outside of the ususal - volcanoes and beaches. I know, I know, that IS Lanzarote, but trying to see more.

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,651 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Hey buddy, any new tips? Flying in tuesday afternoon and staying in PDC. Granny, wife and two kids. Anything on this week of interest? Took the advice of another poster above and hired from Omnicars.

Looking for ideas outside of the ususal - volcanoes and beaches. I know, I know, that IS Lanzarote, but trying to see more.

Thanks in advance.

Haven't even been to the volcanoes yet and only to one beach (playa chica is amazing for snorkelling I must add :p) so may be on the same wavelength!

In terms of trips/escursions, we've been to the water park in Costa Teguise which was about €50 in total for us both, which included bus to and from (about 35 mins each way) and entry to park (from about 11am to either 3:30/4:30/5:30 whichever bus you preferred) though the food/drinks in there was awful expensive, probably the coldest day we felt here so far and got burned the most, you'd think the wind would help, nope! but yeah it was an alright day, not the greatest water park but was fun enough, especially for 2 kids. And even yourself if you're up for it :)

Now when we booked this, we almost insulted the travel agent who was trying to sell Rancho Texas Park to us, meant to be far better, more of a zoo, has a white tiger, few bird shows and the like but has a few slides and that, cheaper and only 10 mins from PDC, it does look like a great day out mind but we were more interested in being children at the water park :pac:

But, honestly one of my favourite things to do here is free and thats walk along the harbour of the old town, up onto the cliff and around, breathtaking views all round, you can usually see Fuertuventura from it aswell, theres a lot of small little beaches and private almost like coves for yourself along the coastline (dont be surprised to see some nudists here tho) and that path then comes into Puerto Calero, a small little village I havent explored much of yet.

Overall the old town is a lot nicer I find, the strip isn't the most peaceful place to walk I've found, the reps are very pushy and it gets a bit annoying when its constant (you're probably used to this from Tenerife tho) but walking on the opposite side of the road, on the beach side usually deters most.

Hope some of that helps, in terms of things on, I'm not too sure tbh, theres usually a market down on the square of the old town each week, but again, I'm not sure what day or whats even on sale :o

Haven't even been to the volcanoes yet and only to one beach (playa chica is amazing for snorkelling I must add :p) so may be on the same wavelength!

In terms of trips/escursions, we've been to the water park in Costa Teguise which was about €50 in total for us both, which included bus to and from (about 35 mins each way) and entry to park (from about 11am to either 3:30/4:30/5:30 whichever bus you preferred) though the food/drinks in there was awful expensive, probably the coldest day we felt here so far and got burned the most, you'd think the wind would help, nope! but yeah it was an alright day, not the greatest water park but was fun enough, especially for 2 kids. And even yourself if you're up for it :)

Now when we booked this, we almost insulted the travel agent who was trying to sell Rancho Texas Park to us, meant to be far better, more of a zoo, has a white tiger, few bird shows and the like but has a few slides and that, cheaper and only 10 mins from PDC, it does look like a great day out mind but we were more interested in being children at the water park :pac:

But, honestly one of my favourite things to do here is free and thats walk along the harbour of the old town, up onto the cliff and around, breathtaking views all round, you can usually see Fuertuventura from it aswell, theres a lot of small little beaches and private almost like coves for yourself along the coastline (dont be surprised to see some nudists here tho) and that path then comes into Puerto Calero, a small little village I havent explored much of yet.

Overall the old town is a lot nicer I find, the strip isn't the most peaceful place to walk I've found, the reps are very pushy and it gets a bit annoying when its constant (you're probably used to this from Tenerife tho) but walking on the opposite side of the road, on the beach side usually deters most.

Hope some of that helps, in terms of things on, I'm not too sure tbh, theres usually a market down on the square of the old town each week, but again, I'm not sure what day or whats even on sale :o

Thanks for that, much appreciated. Flying out in the morning and looking forward to it. Kids are hyper.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 13 sara7

does anyone know where I could get clothes ie tops and short trousers like those from the chinese tat shops on the canary islands... maybe an online site ? .. can't find ones like them anywhere and come in good sizes .. thank you !

sara7 wrote: »
    does anyone know where I could get clothes ie tops and short trousers like those from the chinese tat shops on the canary islands... maybe an online site ? .. can't find ones like them anywhere and come in good sizes .. thank you !

If you're going somewhere where that type of clothing is appropriate or normal, why not buy the gear when you get there?

I've actually just come home and so sorry that I didn't pick up a few more pieces

I've actually just come home and so sorry that I didn't pick up a few more pieces

Advertisement