Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Timing belt change costs

Options
  • 10-06-2016 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

I got a quote for 550 to change the timing belt on a 1.25l 2006 fiesta. Is this as mad as it sounds?
    What is average change costs? Any reasonable places in the cork area?
    Is there really any need to change the water pump while doing the timing belt?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Kencollins

It does sound a bit steep.

The belt and tensioner are listed on micksgarage as between 30 and 50 euro depending on the Gates kit. (K025433XS or K045433XS)

Autodata say 2.8 hours labour, so lets say three.

3hours x 40 euro an hour = 120 plus vat @ 23% about 150 euro.

So the most I would pay an Indie for the timing belt and tensioner would be 200 - 220 euro.

The water pump is not driven by the timing belt on this car as far as I know, so there is no need to replace it along with the belt. If the pump is visibly leaking or the bearings are making noise then I would replace it as the mechanic will have to remove the drive belt to get at the timing belt anyway.

Worst case scenario, the water pump dies in the future and has to be replaced on its own, you would have saved about 30 minutes labour by getting it done while the timing belt was being done.

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

The post above is spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Reckon you could get it a big cheaper if you shop around. I got a 1.6l focus - full timing belt kit, crank bolt, water pump (it was leaking) and auxillary belt all done for €375 recently at an indie, all genuine ford parts.

Parts came to just over €200 and labour €120 with VAT bringing the total to €375.

Advertisement