Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prohibited Calculator

Options
  • 10-06-2016 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

So I just did Maths Paper 1, and didn't know that some calculators are banned. I've just checked examinations and my calculator was listed as 'not allowed'. Anyone know what i should do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

John03046 wrote: »
    So I just did Maths Paper 1, and didn't know that some calculators are banned. I've just checked examinations and my calculator was listed as 'not allowed'. Anyone know what i should do?

Use a different calculator for Paper 2 and say nothing. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4 John03046

Do you know what will happen to my paper 1?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

Follow the above advice and shut up :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭luftmensch

wally1990 wrote: »
    Follow the above advice and shut up :)

It's not that simple though. Everyone is required to write the make and model of the calculator on the inside of their exam paper...

• Registered Users Posts: 20 SureWhyNotNow

I forgot to write the make and model of my calculator. Does that mean anything?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Do you know what will happen to my paper 1?

Did you write the make of it on the front page?

Slow Show wrote: »
    Did you write the make of it on the front page?

Ya I did

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭malnurtured

What happens when you don't write the make/model? lol imagine all my work going to waste because I forgot to do that

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭kirving

What was the calculator model?

Your teacher should have pointed out to you that it wouldn't be allowed in the exam, but at the end of the day it's your responsibility. Best to change for paper 2, even if you're not using the functions which cause the calculator to be banned.

What was the calculator model?

Your teacher should have pointed out to you that it wouldn't be allowed in the exam, but at the end of the day it's your responsibility. Best to change for paper 2, even if you're not using the functions which cause the calculator to be banned.

Its Sharp EL-W506. Ive never heard of prohibited calculators until the exam haha. Will they make the paper void?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Will they make the paper void?
    No, they certainly won't do that.

I'm not sure exactly what they do to be honest, but as it might be only one question (or maybe none, depending on the paper) where the additional functions on your calculator would give you an advantage, the very worst would be some level of penalty on the relevant question(s).

Make sure to bring an allowed one with you for paper 2. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭pleindespoir

Yes some calculators as in graphing calculators for example, can almost record everything as it has letters too so you can cheat the hell out with it. (Though i never tried) plus it can graph functions for you. But it makes me wonder as to why is that banned when it doesn't seem to be any special?? I see alot of people using it other than Casio?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 WonkyMe

Do they check that you've written the correct model number? If not, they cant be taking it too seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭aquse

Why not just write an allowed calculator on the exam???

Advertisement