Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baptism and Confirmation Certificates

Options
  • 10-06-2016 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

We recently got married and have requested the church we married in, to return our baptism and confirmation certificates as they are the originals.
    They responded today to say that the church you marry in usually holds on to them and files them away.

I just wanted to ask if this is normal? I thought they would copy them and return the original certs -

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

I would have thought that to be very strange to be honest.. No I most defiantly do not know the answer but in my head I would think they are completely wrong. Those certificates are not theirs, they are yours and you need to have the original copy of your birth cert. If anything they should hold a copy and that is it.

never heard of this before

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭chocfan

We just gave them copies and they were happy with that

Sounds quite strange they would keep them

Did you have any luck getting these back OP

• Registered Users Posts: 25,740 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Milly33 wrote: »
    I would have thought that to be very strange to be honest.. No I most defiantly do not know the answer but in my head I would think they are completely wrong. Those certificates are not theirs, they are yours and you need to have the original copy of your birth cert. If anything they should hold a copy and that is it.

The OP asked about baptismal and confirmation certificates, not birth certificate.

What denomination is this, OP?

I would have thought it odd that you sent (or even have) originals: most people have to contact the church where the baptism/confirmation was done to get copies of these when they are needed for marriage.

On a role today Brumble..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭janeybaby

Thanks lads!

It was for Roman Catholic but I contacted my own church to ask what their normal procedure would be and the secretary said that normally you wouldn't need your baptism or confirmation certificate for anything else in your lifetime, so they would keep all the forms in the church you got married in.

If you ever needed a copy then you would contact the church you married in and they would send one to you.

Seems strange why they wouldnt just return the originals but there you go, seems to be normal procedure!

Advertisement