Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shower pump problems- water pressure to blame?

Options
  • 10-06-2016 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi there,

Hopefully someone out there can help me. I've been having problems with a shower pump. It's a small 1.5 bar, twin impeller pump. The pump was installed about a year ago, wasn't used excessively and was working fine until recently.

At the minute the pump works fine when pumping cold or unheated hot water, however once the water is actually hot the pressure dies and the pump begins to struggle and eventually stops. I got in touch with the manufacturer who advised me that the thermostat on the hot water tank had been set too high and so the impeller had probably been damaged. We replaced the pump with a brand new one but the problem is still there.

If anyone can offer any advice it would be great, we're stumped at the minute. I don't understand why the problem on happens when its pumping hot water and not with cold. More to the point, we don't understand why it's happening now when the thing ran perfectly well for the past year. The only thing that's changed is the fact that Irish water fixed a leak to a meter further along the street and since then the water pressure in the taps in the house has been noticeably lower. The problem seems to have started shortly after this?

Thanks for you help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

When you replaced the pump did you have the water temperature and thermostats checked to ensure it was within the manufacturers temperature range?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,928 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I came across something like this before. The cause of the problem was that the thermostat in the immersion wasn't working so the water was getting too hot. This caused an awful lot of air getting into the pump.
    The air in the hot water could have damaged the original pump. It's a bit like sand blasting. If caught early enough the new pump may not be damaged yet. It could be just lots of air making the water spluttering.
    Definitely get water temperature checked.

Advertisement