Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

!! Ordinary level Maths paper One BEFORE/AFTERMATH

Options
  • 09-06-2016 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

how's everyone feeling for ord level Maths tomorrow? I'm feeling stressed cause I'm a bit worried that they might make it similar to 2015 paper one

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭TooMuchWork

Johno2474 wrote: »
    Not too much just keep to a minimum but anyway how's everyone feeling for ord level Maths tomorrow? I'm feeling stressed cause I'm a bit worried that they might make it similar to 2015 paper one

They wouldn't dare make that mistake again. I reckon it'll be an easy enough paper. Last year they got a lot of backlash for making the ordinary one a bit too hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Vilas

I'm a bit concerned to be honest. I need a C3 minimum to get into my first choice college. B3 to get into any others. I dropped from HL to OL at the start of 6th year. Felt confident throughout the year in classroom tests but during my Mocks I only managed to get 49% but that was with no study at all. I had things to deal with. I am studying now and hoping to get a better mark. I checked the data and most people end up getting within the C range. Hopefully I manage at least that but would feel a lot better if I could score a B3. I am gonna try and stay hopeful as in my JC mocks I got 24% and in my actual JC I got a C (hl) so fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭ConorD21

How do you study maths?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Look over the chapter quickly, make sure you understand it.
    Have a look at past relevant questions to see what can come up.
    Do you know how to do them?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Vilas

The chapters in our books are too different from the actual exams so my only form is studying is the exam papers. The questions are usually just worded differently year after year, so it is for me at least the most effective method of studying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 Johno2474

Good luck to all let's just hope this year's paper will be nice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭user53

That was sooooooo easy lads, hopefully they don't mark it really hard or throw up a rotten paper 2 :D

Yea truee I was really happy it wasn't like last year's paper. Such a nice paper few qs I didn't understand say I got solid C2

• Registered Users Posts: 35 KaTEA

<3<3<3 delighted :)

Yea same but I just can't get my head across one of the complex number qs like seeing if z2 z3 = z1 z2 was it not equal and what was z3?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 red.velvet

Johno2474 wrote: »
    Yea same but I just can't get my head across one of the complex number qs like seeing if z2 z3 = z1 z2 was it not equal and what was z3?

I can't remember the exact answer I got for z3 (it was something along the lines of 5+or-i but don't take my word for it), but I definitely remember that the modulus formula for [z2 - z3] and [z1 - z2] working out equal for me, I think I got root 13 for both? Also z3, from what I recall was z1 plus 2 times z2, I had to redo it after skimming over the 2 at first (incase you made my initial mistake :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭koolis02

red.velvet wrote: »
    I can't remember the exact answer I got for z3 (it was something along the lines of 5+or-i but don't take my word for it), but I definitely remember that the modulus formula for [z2 - z3] and [z1 - z2] working out equal for me, I think I got root 13 for both? Also z3, from what I recall was z1 plus 2 times z2, I had to redo it after skimming over the 2 at first (incase you made my initial mistake :P)

i got root 13 and 5+i :P

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭hurler97

Took me ages using trial and error to crack the question calculating % compound interest to get from 8000 to 9000 over 3 years. The answer was ridiculous something like 4.427495836282 % ... How did people do the Q - N^2 +BN+C Find B and C ... Anyone sub in O for N to find C and the -b formula to find B????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TheBiz

Not counting but my lack of study got me nervous before the exams.
    Conservative guess of C2 possibly up into the B's. Well so long as P2 isn't a combination of convoluted and tedious questions!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Lunaforwan

brilliant paper. however i think i got a D tbh, our examiner has such a nice butt it was hard to focus on the paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Bangdiggy

koolis02 wrote: »
    i got root 13 and 5+i :P

Same! That paper was amazing...but I'm actually quite scared for paper 2 now

Bangdiggy wrote: »
    Same! That paper was amazing...but I'm actually quite scared for paper 2 now

Thank God, me too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Bangdiggy

hurler97 wrote: »
    Took me ages using trial and error to crack the question calculating % compound interest to get from 8000 to 9000 over 3 years. The answer was ridiculous something like 4.427495836282 % ... How did people do the Q - N^2 +BN+C Find B and C ... Anyone sub in O for N to find C and the -b formula to find B????

I think I got the same but had to give the answer for the compound interest to like 2 decimal places (I think).
    And for the n^2+Bn+C you had to sub in, any term for n and let it equal the number in that term. for example if: U1 =4 U2=8 you would do:
    U1- (1)^2+B(1)+C = 4. U2- (2)^2+B(2)+C = 8.
    you'd then get something like B+C=-1 & 2B+C= 4
    so basically you do the same for any 2 consecutive terms and you do simultaneous equations. hope it helped :)
    KaTEA wrote: »
    Thank God, me too :D

I hope they just make it as easy orjust a bit harder. I feel maybe since they had alot of backlash for last years paper being hard they'd want to be nice?
    I want an A so badly

Bangdiggy wrote: »
    I hope they just make it as easy orjust a bit harder. I feel maybe since they had alot of backlash for last years paper being hard they'd want to be nice?
    I want an A so badly

I comparison to last years, it was definitely easier than the last few years!! I was
    just going through all the papers yesterday morning, and struggle. But after tonnes of poeple failing or almost failing maths, something i had to be done.
    I would love an A too!!

Advertisement