Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

!! Geography 2016 before and after ...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

How is everyone feeling for this one?

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭nerobert

Just wondering what question is the most popular in the options part? I'm doing geoecology.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭TooMuchWork

nerobert wrote: »
    Just wondering what question is the most popular in the options part? I'm doing geoecology.

Think Something like 70% of people do geoecology. I didn't like the questions in the mock on it so I bluffed another option id never done before and got 60% on it, so don't know why others don't study other options too much. I'd say characteristics of a biome or human activity on a biome will come up tho

Think Something like 70% of people do geoecology. I didn't like the questions in the mock on it so I bluffed another option id never done before and got 60% on it, so don't know why others don't study other options too much. I'd say characteristics of a biome or human activity on a biome will come up tho

Yeah I hope it's human activities that affect a biome I have that memorised to a T! It's a handy part of the paper I think for getting marks, if you done well on your field study and the short questions then you've already passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Corkalex

lol I'm learning both soils and biomes am I stupid

• Advertisement

Horrible geography paper, I'm lucky if I get a C3.

Only parts I enjoyed were the short questions (easily got em all right) and the geoecology.

The long questions felt a little restricted because like two of the parts on separate questions required knowledge on the EU and somehow the department of education expect you to write 15SRPs on CONSTRUCTIVE plate boundary.

It was so unbelievable that I answered that question on destructive (more to write) and then had to redo the question after reading it again.

Also, is there a district landscape on the geography course besides Karsk?

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Rachel98

I'm dead after that paper. Instead of re learning the notes on a biomes characteristics for my mock, I decided to learn fecking soil erosion cus I thought twud come up. :(
    Awful choice on the core Qs aswell

Rachel98 wrote: »
    Awful choice on the core Qs aswell

Yeah :(

I thought it was a nice enough paper, the short questions were simple enough. I answered question 3, 6 and 10 on the long q's. The only part I didn't like was the biome question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭user53

This paper was much harder than previous years (apart from SFQs which were just longer and geoecology which was normal). Anyone know what you should of wrote for the formation of one igneous and one metamorphic rock? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭nokia211

user53 wrote: »
    This paper was much harder than previous years (apart from SFQs which were just longer and geoecology which was normal). Anyone know what you should of wrote for the formation of one igneous and one metamorphic rock? :confused:

I just wrote about granite and thermal metamorphism (sandstone- quartzite)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

nokia211 wrote: »
    I just wrote about granite and thermal metamorphism (sandstone- quartzite)

That will do fine for you. It will be marked with 8 srps for one rock type, and 7 for the other
    Horrible geography paper, I'm lucky if I get a C3.

Only parts I enjoyed were the short questions (easily got em all right) and the geoecology.

The long questions felt a little restricted because like two of the parts on separate questions required knowledge on the EU and somehow the department of education expect you to write 15SRPs on CONSTRUCTIVE plate boundary.

It was so unbelievable that I answered that question on destructive (more to write) and then had to redo the question after reading it again.

Also, is there a district landscape on the geography course besides Karsk?

The question on constructive boundaries was straight forward when you break it down. Half the question on their distribution. Discuss plate tectonic theory for that, and give a few named examples. Then explain what happens at them in the second part, eg mid oceanic ridge, fissure eruptions, rifting etc with diagram added in.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Heyzelx

So delighted with that paper oh my god! Thought I'd do really bad but it's been one of the best exams so far!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TheBiz

Thought the paper was fine, wrote like a lunatic not paying attention to time and then I was told 'ok 10 minutes left start finishing up' I hadn't gone onto my elective. Finished up quickly and the other question, rushed to the elective fecked the sketch map and just went scrawling bulletpoints, headings, notes, points, facts everything I could.
    Got both B and C down but fairly sparse.
    Any idea how they'll mark that?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Tomk_1111

I thought it went fairly well lads, one question. For that deposition question, is it completely void if I wrote about fluvial dep.?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Tomk_1111 wrote: »
    I thought it went fairly well lads, one question. For that deposition question, is it completely void if I wrote about fluvial dep.?

If you wrote about a fluvial landform, say a levee then you're fine. The question could use fluvial, coastal or glacial deposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Tomk_1111

If you wrote about a fluvial landform, say a levee then you're fine. The question could use fluvial, coastal or glacial deposition.

Ok, good I wrote about a delta. I was just worried because in a thread on studyclix someone said they were surprised fluvial erosion/deposition didn't come up. Thanks for settling my fears!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 ella1998

TheBiz wrote: »
    Thought the paper was fine, wrote like a lunatic not paying attention to time and then I was told 'ok 10 minutes left start finishing up' I hadn't gone onto my elective. Finished up quickly and the other question, rushed to the elective fecked the sketch map and just went scrawling bulletpoints, headings, notes, points, facts everything I could.
    Got both B and C down but fairly sparse.
    Any idea how they'll mark that?

Happened to me in the mocks, so i jotted down the mains points of my answer for a 30m q, got 12/30 for the q, that was mocks not sure how Lc is marked but fingers crossed! i think it should be fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭heinervb

panicked in the geoecology and done the biome one when i could have done the soils one handys. I wrote about the deciduous forest biome and wrote about the cool temperate climate and so on. Will i be marked very badly for this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 biosci

ella1998 wrote: »
    Happened to me in the mocks, so i jotted down the mains points of my answer for a 30m q, got 12/30 for the q, that was mocks not sure how Lc is marked but fingers crossed! i think it should be fine!

Happened to me in a 30m question last year. Scrawled down around a page of half sentences/points and ended up with 20/30. Depends on the examiner marking it I'd imagine but I'm sure they'd take into account the rest of your exam and mark you fairly enough based on what you've shown on the other questions.

Breathe a sigh of relief now lads, you're nearly there!

• Advertisement
Advertisement