Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pay by weight wheelie bins

Options
  • 09-06-2016 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭

Has anyone any idea how much we're going to be paying per kg for our black bins as just checked online & my average weight for black bin over the last 3 months is 45kg so assuming it's 30cent a kg that's €13.50 a lift . Two lifts a month €27 then brown bin & green bin & a flat charge . Looks like the new charge could see our waste double the amount we are now paying, and no I cannot reduce my black waste due to having a person with special needs & a lot of essential things that's used that cannot go into the brown or green bin.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,934 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

what another scam! expect an increase in fly tipping and burning of waste

• Registered Users Posts: 18,508 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I've read 35c/kg for black, 30c/kg for brown and green free, €2/week standing charge per bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Forever21

Don't know if it's true or not but heard someone say in shops that the big bins at garages you'll have to put in your name address & phone number & the price is going up but it still might work out cheaper. I'll be putting locks on my bins & using the recycling banks big time!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭brickysession

_Brian wrote: »
    I've read 35c/kg for black, 30c/kg for brown and green free, €2/week standing charge per bin.

Can I ask where did you read this please?

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

Wanderer78 wrote: »

I reckon your 100% right on the money here.

Fly tipping and Burning is a major problem in Waterford and Kilkenny as it stands and that's without the new charges.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Jambo wrote: »
    I reckon your 100% right on the money here.

Fly tipping and Burning is a major problem in Waterford and Kilkenny as it stands and that's without the new charges.

While I agree its gonna cost us more and probably will lead to more dumping,a lot off the dumping i see in my patch is stuff that can be recycled or gotten rid of for free...cans, bottles, paper, cardboard, clothes, white goods so being pig ignorant and having zero civic or national pride is a bigger issue IMO.the type of person I see who casually drop wrappers etc on the street tend to have plenty of money for fags and British football jerseys, you know, proud republicans.
    Was out running last night and someone had dumped a small crate of old meat on the road.it stank really bad so attempted to get it off the road where it was not only disgusting but a danger to road users.

We're approaching our waste issues completely wrong. This 'polluter pays principle' is a bit of a cod, even though to some degree, it is also the end users responsibility but not solely! I believe we should also have a 'creators pays principle' to!

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Taxburden carrier

We're approaching our waste issues completely wrong. This 'polluter pays principle' is a bit of a cod, even though to some degree, it is also the end users responsibility but not solely! I believe we should also have a 'creators pays principle' to!

That might stop some of the Flyers that come through the letterbox regardless of whether or not you have a "no junk mail" sticker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Two free sheets every week is also a right pain, I only need one for the food scraps!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,056 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

From talking to the girl on the phone from Greenstar this morning she said it will be 25cent per kg refuse, free green and 15cent per kg compost.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement

From talking to the girl on the phone from Greenstar this morning she said it will be 25cent per kg refuse, free green and 15cent per kg compost.

Did she say anything about a monthly standing change.

Is there any standing charge?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Looking at GS website they say
    Please select a Bill Pay or Pay As You Go plan on the next page and remember we provide you with FREE bins!
    Every little helps!

also they say.....
    *ATTENTION HOUSEHOLD CUSTOMERS*
    We will be writing to you in the coming days with details of the new Pay by Weight Regulations and Pricing
    The introduction of this PBW was postponed before I can see it being done again,
    only two weeks to go and customers don't know yet what all their options are.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,056 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Forever21 wrote: »
    Did she say anything about a monthly standing change.
    Is there any standing charge?

Yeah I think 15 a month was one of them, she went through a couple of options with me but my brain is too fried to remember exactly now sorry!

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

It will be a day of justice when i catch the dirty fcuker who throwing their rubbish out along my road!!
    Between drinks cans and medical waste that has used sterile pads with blood on them getting dumped!!
    Have been onto council about it too, as nobody else along the road would bother their arse to report it.

STIG83 wrote: »
    It will be a day of justice when i catch the dirty fcuker who throwing their rubbish out along my road!!
    Between drinks cans and medical waste that has used sterile pads with blood on them getting dumped!!
    Have been onto council about it too, as nobody else along the road would bother their arse to report it.

Ah FFS that's just uncalled for, have people no shame

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

STIG83 wrote: »

:eek: Jesus, it annoys me if I find a chocolate bar rapper outside the house!

Forever21 wrote:

Some people just don't give a ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Forever21 wrote: »

Doesn't help when you know who doing it....
    If I take them on myself, i would make matters worse.
    They are neighbours from hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭hdl

Green star have their prices on their site now:

Option 1:
    Bill Pay Account
    Monthly Charge€14.50
    General Waste per KG€0.25
    Recycling per KG€0.00
    Compost per KG€0.15

Option 2:
    Pre Pay - Top Up Card
    Monthly Charge€10.00
    General Waste per KG€0.35
    Recycling per KG€0.00
    Compost per KG€0.20

Seems like it will be very expensive (although I have no idea what my bins currently weigh). Have any other companies released prices yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭moans3536

The bin itself weighs a lot , before it is even filled.
    It would be more fair if you were allowed a quota, and them pay for excess over the quota.

moans3536 wrote: »
    The bin itself weighs a lot , before it is even filled.
    It would be more fair if you were allowed a quota, and them pay for excess over the quota.

I am sure its based on the Nett Weight rather than the Gross Weight.

I suppose all weighting equipment on the trucks will be calibrated by a legal metrology lab to verify their accuracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,764 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I am sure its based on the Nett Weight rather than the Gross Weight.

I suppose all weighting equipment on the trucks will be calibrated by a legal metrology lab to verify their accuracy.

Put bin on lift
    Put hand on bin, press down with force, let it read weight. So easy for them to make you pay more.
    One could add 100kgs of down force if one wished to.

Its like someone standing on a scales and someone behind them with foot on scales too.

On a bill pay option will a bill come at end of month, I can see a lot of people not paying in that case. GS will have to chase a lot of money.
    Families won't be able to pay/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

Put bin on lift
    Put hand on bin, press down with force, let it read weight. So easy for them to make you pay more.
    One could add 100kgs of down force if one wished to.

Weight is read as the bin is being lifted. It's not the same as someone standing on a bathroom scales.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Kracken

I live on an open road and i will have to watch for other neighbours putting their rubbish into my bin so they are avoiding the cost in their bin.

I would be interested to know how they quantify the weight;is it weight on lift minus weight on lowering = total waste x cost per kilo.

Also in Waterford isn't compost put into a turn screw and then the compost turned out sold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Is this actually happening or can we expect another change of plan by July 1st?

Don't know how I'm going to afford these new charges, like black bin is approximately 60kg , 60x 0.25=€15 x 2 lifts a month is €30 then €15 standing charge is €45 . Brown bin is once a month about 14kg €2.10 . Think I'll just bag all the medical waste & just bring it down to the hse every week !!!! . I'm sure they'd have the guards onto me if I did but seriously guys just €50 a month is 100% increase in charge , another scam to take all our money. I can't afford to drink & I don't go out & don't smoke .

• Advertisement

i hope the country stands together on this one just like over the water charges. this is a load of crap. many families just cant afford more charges for anything

Advertisement