Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up Eir Firbe on an Asus RT-AC88U

Options
  • 09-06-2016 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Does anyone know the settings for this Asus router, ive been at this nearly 3 days, im having a meltdown.

So i have 50mb firbe from Eir, FFTH via ONTi believe it is, the ONT is a HUAWEI EchoLife HG8010 and from that a WAN cable to the Eir F2000 router, which ive replaced with a Asus RT-AC88U.

I have tried with 4 different credentials and no credentials, and still the Asus and the ONT just dont seem to be communicating with each other.

On the Asus router there is a few setup options. Auto IP, Static IP, PPPoE, PPTP, L2TP.
    I read the Eir Faq and it said "to ensure that it supports PPPoE and enter the correct settings shown below."

Username: eir at eir.ie
    Password: broadband1
    Encapsulation: PPPoE
    Multiplexing: LLC Based
    VPL: 8
    VCL: 35
    Primary DNS: 159.134.0.1
    Secondary DNS: 159.134.0.2

So this didn't work, the status of the asus was: connecting to remote server now/ and it just hangs and doesn't do anything, no matter how long i leave it. I left it for over half hour at one stage, I rang tech and just asked to confirm that the credentials were all right and he said that as far as he knows, the user name is eircom at eircom.net and not eir at eir, so tried that and still no joy.

After giving up on the PPoE i tried the Static IP set up and it does give me an enabled light on the router web page, but then turned off after a minute saying that the user name or password is not correct. the broadband light on the router itself was staying red.

I tried eir at eir.ie and eircom at eircom.net with Password: broadband1, still nothing.
    Rang tech support again, and he tells me for the user name use my phone number and for the pass use my account number, still no joy, with or without the - in the phone number, so then i tried with No Authentication and low and behold it stays green, indicating im connected, but the router is still on a red light and it should be a white light, on top of that when i try to connect with my laptop after this small joyous moment, it wont connect, and my wireless adaptor on the laptop gives me these 2 different errors: "the dns server isnt responding or doesn't exist.

or

your pc appears to be correctly configured, but the device or resource (dns server) is not responding"

so all in all, im just really lost, ive really really tried..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

PPPoE / login credentials are for ADSL/VDSL. You dont need them.

"Auto IP" - DHCP is what you want, and you may need to set it to VLAN10.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Plastic_Life

Thanks ED, i will try that now, on the Auto IP settings page it just has:

Enable WAN (Yes) No
    Enable NAT (Yes) No
    Enable UPnP (Yes) No

Connect to DNS Server automatically (Yes) No

Authentication : none

Special Requirement from ISP

Host Name: (blank)

MAC Address:
    DHCP query frequency :aggressive mode
    Extend the TTL value: No

I'm netgear not Asus but this came up before and IIRC setting it in the IPTV UI fixes it.

iptv_vlan6-png.931

I get a "DHCP connection failed" when i connect automatically.

With the settings in the pic above applied, it still doesn't recognise, also the set up wizard doesn't detect the router, but without those above settings the wizard detects the modem and goes trough 2 or 3 steps: 1: turn off the cable dsl modem, then i click next and 2: plug the modem back in and when i see the green light flashing i press "detect again" only it just times out and offers to try again.

Sorry, I should have clarified, the picture is wrong.

Set VID 10 PRI0 in internet, the first row, and leave the others blank.

• Advertisement

My god, Thank you ED!!!

I just put in 10, and that's it, instant green. No joke ive been sitting here since Tuesday Afternoon, this was a nightmare.

Ive also got a new IP address, id nearly go on the beer.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4 colly11

Sorry guys, I can't get this to work. I have an Asus RT-AC68u, but I don't believe that is the issue, as all the setting options appear the same.

I have set VLAN 10, and other settings as per your posts above (assuming you have set the options to (yes) where bracketed.

I'm on Eir fibre via a Huawei ONT also.

Is there something I'm missing?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,414 ✭✭✭swoofer

did you get sorted, once you change vlan and reboot it should conect. have you lan cable from ont going to wan port on router? is cable old?

swoofer wrote: »
    did you get sorted, once you change vlan and reboot it should conect. have you lan cable from ont going to wan port on router? is cable old?

Hi Swoofer,

Nope. It's the cable that was connected to the F2000 router from the ONT, and it works fine with that. I have it connected to WAN on the Asus.

Is it only the two setup screens that are relevant - WAN and IPTV?

Can anyone confirm WAN settings?

• Advertisement

TV or no TV?

ED E wrote: »
    TV or no TV?

Hi Ed,

No I don't have Eir TV package....

I have dug out my spare ASUS RT N66U and had a look. First thing is I am usingAsuswrt-MERLIN software in the router. It adds more features but dont ask what they are too long ago BUT when I got router it was recommended to use that firmware.

wan is ; bracket means that is the one to use.
    connection type automaticIP
    Enable WAN (Yes) No
    Enable NAT (Yes) No
    Enable UPnP (Yes) No

Connect to DNS Server automatically Yes

Authentication : none
    Special Requirement from ISP
    Host Name: (blank)
    MAC Address:
    DHCP query frequency :aggressive mode
    Extend the TTL value: No

and lan is

select iptv, ISP PROFILE select manual. then next to internet put 10,
    under special applications for use DHCP routes I have microsoft.
    then its disable, disable, and 0.

nb YOU MUST click apply.

Also check under dual wan that it says next to Primary Wan WAN and not usb. click apply.

Then at top click on reboot.

Thanks Swoofer! I don't know what setting I had wrong but it's working now!
    Thanks a mil!

delighted for you and enjoy, you will love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭StephenS147

This thread helped but a screenshot paints a 1,000 words.

I didn't enable the 802.1Q like a div and had 10 entered as the VLAN ID.

Here's the settings needed for the DSL-AC68U router from ASUS.

IC2mnYj.png

XmcANAA.png

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭zzap64

This is a very useful thread.

I'm just adding a bit for people with a static / fixed IP address from Eir:

Router: RT-AX86U (more than likely the same for other ASUS routers).

WAN - > Internet Connection ->
    WAN Connection Type to PPPoE
    IP Address<YOUR_FIXED_IP>
    Subnet mask 255.255.255.0
    Default gateway 192.168.1.254 (n.b. The Asus default was different, I just wanted to keep it as the Eir one, doesn't matter really)
    Username -> eircom@eircom.net
    Password -> broadband1

Advertisement