Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newspaper pulled a sly one.

Options
  • 09-06-2016 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭

So the other day a newspaper contacted me on twitter asking to use one of my images for their website . I agreed on condition to link back to my site, which they did. Fast forward to the next day then it shows up in their printed paper, which they didn't say anything about. I feel a bit cheated as I usually request a small fee for use in print.

Sent them 2 emails so far about it , and haven't got a reply back.

What do people recommend?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

Depends on what solution you are looking for. This might be better off in the Legal Discussion forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Basically to be paid for use in print.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

The best advice over the years to be given around here appears to be to send an invoice with a copy of the publication page where the image appeared. 4 - 6 weeks later the cheque should arrive.

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    The best advice over the years to be given around here appears to be to send an invoice with a copy of the publication page where the image appeared. 4 - 6 weeks later the cheque should arrive.

Will do that now, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Keedowah

Out of interest, what is the going rate for a pic like the one being discussed?

Any chance of a link to the article? NP if not.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Invoice them for €60. They are highly unlikely to argue with that, and will pay up, eventually.

If they had of requested it originally for paper use I would've charged €50, but by using it in print without permission I doubled it.

http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/electrifying-videos-captured-thunder-lightning-8131917

For the paper they also took a non watermarked version from my fb page, not the one I tweeted.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭ValueInIreland

They will probably pay up without too much hassle, but if you post a fairly high resolution image of anything interesting anywhere online there is a good chance someone somewhere will "Use" it - you'r just lucky that you know who!
    I am not defending "lifting" image, but putting a high res image online without a watermark is like leaving your keys in the car with the engine running outside a Supermarket and being surprised that it gets stolen - Protect your images or be prepared for the inevitable.

They will probably pay up without too much hassle, but if you post a fairly high resolution image of anything interesting anywhere online there is a good chance someone somewhere will "Use" it - you'r just lucky that you know who!
    I am not defending "lifting" image, but putting a high res image online without a watermark is like leaving your keys in the car with the engine running outside a Supermarket and being surprised that it gets stolen - Protect your images or be prepared for the inevitable.

Thats where reverse image search comes in handy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement