Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unbuild and Build Log

Options
  • 09-06-2016 11:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭

So as I'm not getting a 1070 yet I needed something to occupy my time.

PC in a drawer, that became PC in a unit was giving me a bit of jip - caused entirely by me it seems - so I decided to tear it down. Also it was nowhere near as quiet as I would have liked.

So firstly why was my GPU only running in 8X hmmm.

Well when you use this as a riser this happens:

388315.jpg

Well that and losing my temper with it. Sooo.. any thoughts on fixing that or will I just run the GPU in the 8X slot? Shouldn't make any difference on a 290 or 1070 should it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

So stripped off the waterblock and backplate saved the pads and found the LEDs - must go and update adverts... :)

388316.jpg

Popped the air cooler back on the 290 and realised why I water cooled it in the first place! Looped 3DMark and it hit 90C not unusual for these cards. Thought I must have not out the paste on right though as the fan was going nuts. Come out of 3DMark to see the fan was c. 40% lol! Tried it at 100% for the cric and I still have ringing in my ears!

388319.jpg

So that's the test build done! New case etc arriving Wednesday so I'll update then.

I will say all is forgiven on 'difficult' to install coolers. Those fecking intel stock things are a PITA if you try and reuse them!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Popped the air cooler back on the 290 and realised why I water cooled it in the first place! Looped 3DMark and it hit 90C not unusual for these cards. Thought I must have not out the paste on right though as the fan was going nuts. Come out of 3DMark to see the fan was c. 40% lol! Tried it at 100% for the cric and I still have ringing in my ears!

Comments like these won't help you when you go to sell that card!

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Comments like these won't help you when you go to sell that card!

Meh, I'm always too honest with people on Adverts :pac:

69 positive feedback though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

People have no idea how crap those reference cards are. People think 'Ah, I can handle a loud card'. But that thing was like having an actual hairdryer in your PC, it simply is not tolerable at all unless you're wearing headphones. At even with all the ridiculous jet-engine noise, the temps were insane, typically 90-95c.

Sold mine almost instantly and replaced with a third party one later.

Having the PC open like this is great for tracking down whats making a racket. The low pitched hum being transferred out of the HDD from the platter spinning is mental. I'm not talking about the click click here but just the hummmmmm. On the desk it freakin' mental!

So I've devised a cunning 'dampening field'

388368.jpg

I may have to dump the mechanical HDDs out entirely if it transfers sound like that through the case! I may have to conserve space is there anywhere I can upload a TB of po... er game saves!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

'dampening field'

Epic. :D

What is it? Looks like a Toshiba of some sort?

Serephucus wrote: »

Toshiba DT01ACA300 - it's amazing cos it might end up on Adverts in a minute! :pac:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Toshiba DT01ACA300 - it's amazing cos it might end up on Adverts in a minute! :pac:

I hope the toilet roll is included

I hope the toilet roll is included

Slightly used... lol I'll just leave you with that image.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭Calibos

Serephucus wrote: »

Cool, I didn't realise Toshiba made toilet Roll ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

Slightly used... lol I'll just leave you with that image.

Hi will you swap for one of my ads?

*all ads are Taytos that look like countries*

Woke up early, text waiting...

388421.jpg

One of those is a 6+2 with the BEST invention I have ever seen in PCs. The cable is a little slider so they stay together. I hate trying to plug in side by side cables with only that little catch, this is awesome! It more than makes up for the disappointment of not getting a 1070 last night! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

I had an old Cooler Master PSU that did that! Best thing ever!

I had discounted getting a Samsung Pro 950 as I didn't want to lose PCIe lanes to the GPU. Given that's happening now anyway can a 950 pro on an add in card get full 4x PCIe bandwidth?

Thanks in advance guys!

So stuff arrive by An Post not only a day early but pretty early this morning!

388823.jpg

Of course everyone was happy as we all got new toys!

388824.jpg

PC is actually built but I HAVE to take the two intake fans out and plug them into another header and try and slow them down, they're driving me mental!

Sooo. H100i V2 - very, very good cooling. Very very noisy. IIRC the pump quiets down after a few hours/days - is that recollection correct. I think air has to work through it - even in a sealed unit.

Fecking fans - how many iterations of H100 do we have to go through before they include some decent fans. On that note does anyone know if you can use 3 pin fans with the H100i controller, even if it's just to have them spinning permanently at a low RPM.

So sorted out the volumes of the fans for now. They'll need replacing which I was going to do anyway but jesus - had to bring the RPM down below 1000 for them to to be even tolerable!

Pics of the build almost completed.

388838.jpg

388839.jpg

388840.jpg

388841.jpg

Complete with dirty sock!

Finished build - it glows!

388842.jpg

Top window - crap camera

388843.jpg

Gubbins without window

388845.jpg

How do you know a VR HMD owner? They'll tell you... :pac:

388844.jpg

To Do:

-Have a bloody good tidy up and do some cable management, probably involving a drill!
    -Red LED fans coming to replace the front SP120Ls.
    -Do something about the intake (side) fans.
    -Wait for EVGA 1080 :(
    -Find out if mouse mat is washable.
    -Lose some weight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

That ref 290 must be a nightmare in a case like that. Fantastic compact build though.

That ref 290 must be a nightmare in a case like that. Fantastic compact build though.

I use it to dry my hands after I pee :pac:

1080 has just shipped!

• Advertisement

I can't bring myself to start my build till I get my fecking Plastidip paint. First thing to ship, last thing to arrive. Still waiting.

Still waiting for my Asus Strix 1080 of course.

Setup looks fantastic Mark. I see you took a leaf out of my book and are mounting the 240 on its side with the window facing up. You should unscrew the case feet and double sided tape them to the new 'floor panel' of the case. Thats what I'll be doing anyway.

So something showed up in the middle of the night...

389212.jpg

So it was time for my old baby to depart :( So long! Many hot loud hours together, with much fun and many pixels. Not only that we discovered near the end that mouse mat was washable and you could be used to dry it. I'm sorry for removing and selling your watercooling block :o

389213.jpg

My photography is crap and it's too early in the morning to properly cable manage - I'll tidy her up another day and also push that 6pin back through as it's no longer needed. A couple of silent fans coming for the top of the case, but I can decide if I'll use them (with blades non LED) or get a couple of AF red LEDs to match the new SP120 LEDs. Unfortunately the camera doesn't pick up how nice all the LEDs look. I'm even starting to like that EVGA side plate!

389215.jpg

Did a bit of DIY so I could move the case and cable manage a bit. A bit more to do but case now as God/Terrorfirmer intended! :D You don't buy a 1080 unless you can sit and stare at it in the case!

389214.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5i1cJIwE7M

I'd be inclined to move the GPU up to the first PCI-e slot and also put 2x 120mm fans on the bottom of the case as intake blowing cool air straight into the eVGA SC while also doing what you said and adding two to the top. Assuming your AIO Rad fans on the front are also intake that'll mean 4x 120mm intake and 2x 120mm as exhaust giving you some nice positive pressure inside the case which will also help push that internally exhausted GPU hot air straight out those clear vents at the back of the case.

Stunning build! :D

Seems like we've followed a very similar path. Rifts, Corsair Air Series cases, GTX1080's and we both seem to value 34" 3440x1440 Ultrawide goodness over ridiculously high monitor refresh rates. I've heard the LG I bought can be overclocked to about 80hz anyway. Theres also Fastsync which is a new nVidia thing in the drivers released alongside the 10 series that eliminates screen tearing at FPS's over 60 without the need to enable V-Sync and having to suffer the downsides of that.

Unfortunately the Air 240 wont take fans in the bottom (oh matron). Also see first post ref the top slot :pac:

I might see if can get some thin fans for the bottom eventually but it will probably wait for a mainboard replacement.

I've got my Dell 3415W up to 80Hz so happy out there!

Unfortunately the Air 240 wont take fans in the bottom (oh matron). Also see first post ref the top slot :pac:

I might see if can get some thin fans for the bottom eventually but it will probably wait for a mainboard replacement.

I've got my Dell 3415W up to 80Hz so happy out there!

Was going to post a photo of 120mm fans mounted to the bottom of an Air240.....

....and then I thought to myself, Mark is no eejit.

Bit more research and....

You can mount fans on the bottom if you are using a mITX board but not if using a mATX board like you have.

DOH!!

Nah, your current arrangement and plan is perfect so. GPU where it is in the second PCIe slot right above the bottom dust filters so it doesn't recycle the CPU AIO rad intake air and top fans exhausting.

Don't mind me :D

Calibos wrote: »
    ....and then I thought to myself, Mark is no eejit.

Did you see post 1! :pac:

I've actually got the top fans as intakes although they're not there at the moment. The AIO is exhausting the air out the front. I will only really have intakes to maintain positive pressure. The AIO is taking the warm air out from the GPU pretty handily and CPU temps seem pretty happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Sooo. H100i V2 - very, very good cooling. Very very noisy. IIRC the pump quiets down after a few hours/days - is that recollection correct. I think air has to work through it - even in a sealed unit.

Fecking fans - how many iterations of H100 do we have to go through before they include some decent fans. On that note does anyone know if you can use 3 pin fans with the H100i controller, even if it's just to have them spinning permanently at a low RPM.

Putting my new build together now. I also have that cooler. Did your back plate come with some double sided sticky foam? My old corsair cooler back plate had them but this one doesn't and the back plate is very loose as a result.

superg wrote: »
    Putting my new build together now. I also have that cooler. Did your back plate come with some double sided sticky foam? My old corsair cooler back plate had them but this one doesn't and the back plate is very loose as a result.

No sticky foam, very tight back plate - what socket are you using?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

1151. It tightened up once the pump was in place. Was worried the back plate was too loose.

• Advertisement

Well put me in a dress and call me Charlotte.

I'd been trying to bend pins back on the PCIe slot with a needle and gave up, it really was like the monkeys at the beginning of 2001:A Space Odyssey. I just plonked the 1080 into the top slot to see what would happen with cooling (combined with some case fan speed changes) and my 2Ghz OC was playing a bit nicer with lower GPU fan speeds so happy days.

Quick look at the driver and it's running in X16 mode!!! Very happy bunny - time to think about SLI :pac:

Just waiting for it to short now and take out the entire house along with €2K of PC!

Advertisement