Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 days in Mexico city - any advice?

Options
  • 09-06-2016 10:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭

Never been there before. What should we do? what should we see? what shouldn't we do? Is it safe?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Make the trip out to Teotihuacan, it's awesome. There's organised tour groups that go out there which is the easiest way to go. The one I used was an early arrival, beat the crowd affair, there were still a lot of people there but apparently the crowds can become massive during the day. Being there early meant that the sun and the moon temples were pretty much deserted allowing for an easy climb and more time at the top admiring the view.

The Templo Mayor in the Historic centre is worth a visit as well and really easy to overlook as the entrance is almost hidden. Just be aware that they've got some really weird rule about bringing in bottles of water with you, you've to drop them off at a hole in the wall to the left of the entrance. There's some interesting places around Chepulpatepec (sp) park in which you can get lost for hours but the palace there isn't really worth it.

The Anthropology Museum is well worth a trip and could easily eat up an entire day, there's a huge amount of everything to go and see. If you're there early head towards the back end first to beat the crowds, that's where most of the people seemed to be gathered while I was there making it awkward to see everything. There is a flow of history which you're kinda meant to follow anti-clockwise from the entrance going from pre-historic times to the modern day but it doesn't make that big a difference.

Try unflavoured Pulce once, preferably at a pulceria (which seemed to be everywhere).

There's plenty of markets behind the Zocalo if you're in to that kind of thing with all sorts of stuff on display.

Make the effort to speak a bit of Spanish, it really helps.

Eat all the food and drink all the beer :p

Get yourself set up on Uber before going and use that for getting around, don't hail down a taxi. If you have to use a taxi get the accommodation you're staying in to book one or go to one of the taxi rank stands.

Try some of these: JzHiyBT.jpg?1

Where about will you be staying while you're there?

Forgot to say that I found the city on the whole to be very safe but, as with anywhere, always be aware of your surroundings, don't make yourself a target and don't stray down dodgy looking streets. There was an incredibly high police presence while I was there, from talking to the locals I believe this is normal.

Advertisement