Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wearing leggings with skirts?

Options
  • 09-06-2016 10:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭

I'm not usually a skirt person for a few different reasons:
    Finding shoes to wear with skirts
    Chafting, heat rash on the thighs
    Tights, I do not like.

So for me it's pants and shorts.

I do own two skirts from about 4 years ago. Hardly worn for reasons above. They would be suitable for the summer. Made from a light cotton material. Knee length and flowy so a bit like a skater skirt. Fits very well in the waist.

I took a notion that wearing short leggings might work with them and I was in Dunnes and I found Capri length leggings and for 8 euro, I couldn't go wrong so I bought them with the intention of wearing them with the skirts. When I got home I tried them on with the skirt and fitflops and I like it. I felt lightness and airiness and I think it would be so much more better then heavy Jean shorts.

I google d wearing skirts with leggings and a something came up on another forum and I read it's a no-no.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

If you're happy with how it looks and are comfortable, go for it!

I wear long leggings under some short day dresses, and my friend always wears those capri-style leggings under dresses.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 CassieLyons

I wear some bike shorts, capri length, or full length leggings with some of my dresses and skirts for that same reason. :) If done right it can be a cute look.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

Only 3 things that tell the truth:
    1) Children
    2) Drunk people
    3) Leggings

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bridgettedon

I think if you feel comfortable in it then that's all that matters. I think it's a cute look.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

I've seen loads of women wearing dresses and skirts with leggings during the recent spell of good weather and it looks fine. If you feel comfortable OP wear it. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,607 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

I'm agreeing with previous replies: this look is pretty, comfortable, summery and a LOT of people are wearing exactly that look this year.

"I googled wearing skirts with leggings and a something came up on another forum and I read it's a no-no."

-Who says so? They are talking through their @r$e. You needn't believe the "fashion advice" online. Half of it is made up by people who want to sound knowledgeable, but have never seen you or me in our favourite outfit. Ignore them!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

I thing leggings and skirts together look hideous.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

'80's flashback time! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I always wear leggings and dresses. Mainly because I'm tall and can't be exposing too much leg at work :o . Also if it's windy outside everyone can see my knickers! Don't really like leggings and skirts personally. Works with some skirts though, especially the ones you mentioned you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

I think its quite nice and summery rather then tights. And not all of us can wear skirts without tights esp to work.

If you like how it looks wear them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Yeah I always do. More so with dresses but same idea.

The ones I wear are just below knee.

I like them with dresses and cute sandals on holidays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Broken Hearted Road

Thank you so much for the replies. I read the first few after I posted this. I wore a skirt and leggings a few times since and I must say I love it so much so that I bought 2 more skirts and some leggings since and I'm wearing skirts more often.

I had to wear a skirt as part of my school uniform in school and I hated it and that put me off for a very long time on skirts and dresses too. It's good to add something new now to my everyday wear aside from pants and shorts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Broken Hearted Road

Luckysasha wrote: »
    Only 3 things that tell the truth:
    1) Children
    2) Drunk people
    3) Leggings

I hear what you are saying. I would never be able to wear leggings on their own.

Advertisement