Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VOIP over mobile?

Options
  • 08-06-2016 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭

I've asked this question already on the VOIP forum, but might get feedback here as well.

Does anyone have experience of VOIP working successfully over mobile/mobile broadband?

Does any particular network work best? Or should any network in particular be avoided e.g. due to port blocking.

I looking at this in the context of getting rid of a landline, but keeping/porting the landline number for occasional incoming calls.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭editorsean

I know for sure that VoIP works over both Three and Meteor, including over the phone data plans.

As for sound quality, it heavily depends on the congestion of the network and mast you're connected to as well as whether you're going over 3G or 4G.

I've made VoIP calls before over 3G and there was a noticeable lag, similar to making a call to the US using some cheap long distance providers. Generally the voice quality was fine.

If there is not much congestion with 4G, the call quality seems to be much the same as making the VoIP call over a wired broadband connection. I've also recently had an hour long Skype call over Three 4G without any noticeable glitch and surprisingly that was between 9pm and 10pm when the network is usually congested. It was only after the call that I realised I made it over 4G as I forgot to enable the Wi-Fi.

My recommendation would be to set up a VoIP account on a month plan to try it out for a few weeks. Set up a divert on your landline to your VoIP number so that you get a feel of what the VoIP quality is like with incoming calls before deciding whether to go ahead with the port.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭funnyname

I use this a lot and works very well via the app available on android

https://www.freevoipdeal.com/dashboard

I have it set up as well via CSipSimple but it gets blocked on data only however the app doesn't get blocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭editorsean

As far as I'm aware of, CSipSimple by default is set to work over Wi-Fi only.

To enable it over 3G/4G, go into Settings -> Network and scroll down to 'For incoming calls' and tick 'Use 3G (and better)', then scroll down further to 'For outgoing calls' and tick 'Use 3G (and better)' again.

Generally I have it unchecked for incoming calls unless I'm on call from work as I had issues with it running down the battery.

In my case, I use CSipSimple with Blueface, however, I've had Blueface before they stopped providing new prepay accounts.

Advertisement