Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Occupation in Records?

Options
  • 08-06-2016 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

Besides the census, which Irish records show occupation?
    Person is not in the remaining 1851 census records, so looking for records between 1855 and 1910, that shows they were a baker.
    Might of been in the Irish records on Ancestry.com/uk or Findmypast.ie or do they all have the same records?

Have vague recollection of seeing the name I was looking for ( potential person) and his father's name, with baker as occupation.....

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Birth death and marriage records show occupations, as do prison records and workhouses. Indexes of the former on all the pay sites plus family search, the 2 latter are on FMP.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

A baker who had their own premises would almost certainly appear in trade directories also. However if they worked in a bakery/institution they wouldn't; but its still worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭sinesprockett

Thanks a lot for all the replies- will carry on looking - appreciate the help :)

Another query: trying to retrace my previous searches, do Ancestry.ie and Findmypast.ie both show exactly the same Irish records?
    With thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Another query: trying to retrace my previous searches, do Ancestry.ie and Findmypast.ie both show exactly the same Irish records?
    With thanks

No.
    FMP has much more Irish records.

• Advertisement

Thanks Tabbey, thats what I was hoping for :)

Advertisement