Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

green insects in Broad bean plant, any ideas?

Options
  • 08-06-2016 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭

My first time growing some veg this year, something is eating my dwarf broad bean plants, found some small green insects in the inner small leaves, I'm guessing these are culprits? See photos attached
    Any safe ways to get rid of them?
    Thanks for the help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

They are greenfly/aphids and soapy water will remove them or a hose down. You can use chemicals but...

Wouldn't think they are eating the plant - usually just tap the juices. You might have another culprit for the holes and munched leaf edge.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Framed10

GrumpyMe wrote: »
    They are greenfly/aphids and soapy water will remove them or a hose down. You can use chemicals but...

Wouldn't think they are eating the plant - usually just tap the juices. You might have another culprit for the holes and munched leaf edge.
    Thanks for your help.
    I want to use no chemicals if at all possible.
    My give some ecover soapy water ago.
    Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

Pinch off all the tops of the plants as this is the area they target (part that you are holding between your fingers in the second photo). It will only encourage the bean pods to grow so won't harm the plant.
    I just squish them with my fingers, you'll really cut down the numbers that way.
    You may notice ants on the plants - they actually farm the aphids, herding them together!
    The holes in the leaves are most likely caused by slugs or snails.
    Don't be worried about eating the beans anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭the goon

Wow. So the ants actually help deal with the greenfly?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

the goon wrote: »
    Wow. So the ants actually help deal with the greenfly?

No, The opposite. They farm the greenfly and attack anything that would eat the greenfly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭the goon

Damn

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,736 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i was wondering - when looking to dispose of ash from the barbeque - whether the ash could be used to combat greenfly.
    i.e. dust the plant with the ash, and rinse it off ten minutes later. i suspect the greenfly would find that unwelcome.

i've not tried this though...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

I tried soapy water on broad beans and it turned a lot of the plants black and just had to bin them.:(

The leaves were eaten by slugs and snails and the bloody ants had a field day with the flowers so I was desperate.

I planted new broad beans a few weeks ago and just cut off the eaten leaves, will try nematoids to eat the slug bastids.

Not sure what I can do about the ants, ideas very welcome.

Advertisement