Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PhD Tuition Fees

Options
  • 08-06-2016 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I am going into fourth year of a structured PhD and have been in receipt of the special rate of SUSI tuition fees for the first three years of my course. The university no longer offers PhDs in my subject to be conducted in the old way, which usually took three years due to the absence of compulsory modules. Now SUSI are telling me that because they funded my one-year masters degree (a separate stand alone course in a different subject in a different school), they will not fund my fourth year tuition fees for my PhD. Obviously I would never have started the four year programme if I thought I would not be allowed to finish it- there is no way I can afford the €4,500 of the final year. My appeal has just been rejected. I cannot help but think SUSI have not updated their policy of four years maximum tuition funding to account for the fact that the structure of the PhD has now changed. Of course I would have opted for a shorter version if I could have, but I was not permitted by my college to do this. Also, entry onto this PhD was only permitted with a masters degree. I just think I've been allowed to waste three years very hard work and now have to drop out because they have an outdated policy.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Can your PI or whoever is funding your stipend find the tuition fees? What about your department head?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 PhDYear4

The University have a policy that where you start a PhD on 'external funding', ie not from the department in the university, it is your responsibility to make sure you can complete. Basically, my Uni won't help. They just want their fees- end of. Kinda sad because they like to advertise the members of their 'research' department at every opportunity. But we have to make sure we get our fees paid in order to stay there. Not a whole lot of support- but if we get our doctorates you can be sure we'll be 'esteemed alumni' in every publication. I teach for my money- hourly contract. They don't even want to give short term contracts. *sigh*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

If there is a way for this to get sorted with SUSI then hopefully it can be resolved.

However, saying you'd have not taken on a PhD if you knew there was a possibility of the 4th year not being funded is immature. It also comes across as if the PhD doesn't mean that much to you.

You've already gone through nearly two decades of funded education - contrast this with other countries where students would be massively in debt by year 3 of a PhD.

Worst case scenario take a year out, get a job and continue your PhD in a year's time.

Alternatively, heading into year four of a PhD degree should allow you to get a loan from a bank - assuming it's somewhat commercial and not a PhD on the lifecycle of the endangered great crested newt.

I'm pretty sure in few years time you'll have graduated with your PhD.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

I'd suggest hitting up your postgraduate studies office for advice. You might also be able to get some help from the student assistance fund.

It is safe to assume that SUSI will not help. Are SUSI your sole funding source?? No other funder is giving you a stipend that actually covers rent/living?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 PhDYear4

'saying you'd have not taken on a PhD if you knew there was a possibility of the 4th year not being funded is immature. It also comes across as if the PhD doesn't mean that much to you.'
    I think you're mistaking immaturity with reality. Realistically, it would not be recommended to embark on something when you're unsure about being able to finish it. I've worked my entire way through the PhD teaching, and I've had no other support. I just find the tuition fee lump sum a little hard to gather up. I'm sure most people who muddle through would have the same problem. Also, I'm nearly forty, have practiced law all my life and because of a serious injury found I could no longer work in practice. So yeah, it kinda does mean a lot me. And, no, no great crested newts have been harmed thus far in the making of my legal PhD(!)

• Advertisement
Advertisement