Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Husqvarna automower 330x and 430x - any difference

Options
  • 08-06-2016 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,096 ✭✭✭✭

Hi
    Just for those that are interested in robotic lawnmowers I have a Husqvarna 330X. Its working well, very happy with it.

I have it 2 years and the latest model on the Husqvarna website is now a 430X.

However, I took it for a software update yesterday to the dealers and they updated it and now when I pop open the hatch it says "Automower 430x". And no, they didnt give me the wrong machine back!

So, I think the 330x and the 430x are actually the same machine. The dealer seemed to agree with me as well.

They certainly look the same.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭randombar

Just curious about these at the minute.

Can I ask how much? Pros/Cons?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,096 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Have a read of this thread:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057213541

Depending on the model you buy they are about €2k for entry level model.

Pros... plenty.... time saving, money saving, environment saving, better for the lawn itself as it is in effect mulching.
    Cons... needs installation is probably the main one. You have to lay a wire around the perimeter and around objects like flowerbeds etc. Its a once off task though so unless you are constantly changing your lawn it shouldnt be that big a deal.

If you have multiple lawns separated by steps its probably not a runner unless you can create a path for it.

If you really want to research it you need to see one in action and speak to an owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭randombar

Thanks for that.

We share a ride on mower between three houses at the minute so we'd actually need one each.

At 2k it's another few years before I get one of these unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 acrmorris

KCross, sorry for hijaking the thread a little, but wondering if you have experience with manual settings on the 330x?

I recently bought and DIY installed a 430x. Perimeter length is around 480m which is well below the max recommended 800m and I have a solid green light on the base.

The issue is that I have 2 front lawn areas both connected to the rear by quite narrow corridors (around 30"). I am waiting for some new cabling to run guide wires, but in the meantime I have tried to get the 430 to return to the charging station by following the boundary, but it is never able to follow and instead just randomly hunts back and forth with the blade stopped until it gets within range of the station. This means that occasionally it will get stuck on one of the front lawn areas with a flat battery.

Apart from that, it is working fine, follows the boundary well etc. and is doing a great job.

Have you ever tried the follow boundary to station test mode? If so, did it track close to the cable? It is quite hard to find much online at the moment.

I also seem to have the same issue when leaving the base station and trying the follow out function, but I am not sure if there is a fault with the mower or with the cable length?

Thanks for any light you can shed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,096 ✭✭✭✭KCross

acrmorris wrote: »
    KCross, sorry for hijaking the thread a little, but wondering if you have experience with manual settings on the 330x?

I recently bought and DIY installed a 430x. Perimeter length is around 480m which is well below the max recommended 800m and I have a solid green light on the base.

The issue is that I have 2 front lawn areas both connected to the rear by quite narrow corridors (around 30"). I am waiting for some new cabling to run guide wires, but in the meantime I have tried to get the 430 to return to the charging station by following the boundary, but it is never able to follow and instead just randomly hunts back and forth with the blade stopped until it gets within range of the station. This means that occasionally it will get stuck on one of the front lawn areas with a flat battery.

Apart from that, it is working fine, follows the boundary well etc. and is doing a great job.

Have you ever tried the follow boundary to station test mode? If so, did it track close to the cable? It is quite hard to find much online at the moment.

I also seem to have the same issue when leaving the base station and trying the follow out function, but I am not sure if there is a fault with the mower or with the cable length?

Thanks for any light you can shed :)

Not in front of the mower right now but there is a menu governing how it finds its way home. It has 3 phases....

- Move randomly until you find the base
    - Look for a guide wire
    - Follow perimeter

You set how long each of those phases should last. It sounds like you have the phase 1 and 2 times set too high and by the time it gets to phase 3 the battery has already gone dead.

Since you don't have a guide wire yet you should set that to a very low time so that it goes to phase 3 quicker.

I have run the various tests (follow in, follow out, guide etc). In fact they are a must if you want to be sure you have it setup correctly particularly for the narrow corridors as there are settings for those as well (e.g. corridor width).

You can set how close to the wire it will run. You want to set as wide a corridor as you can so that it has a wider space to come in on thus reducing the chance of it creating a path. IIRC you set the width and it will randomly decide to come in 1cm,10cm,3cm etc from the wire thus "never" coming in on the same path twice.

If you are still stuck let me know and I'll look at the menus later and give you exact instructions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 acrmorris

KCross wrote: »
    Not in front of the mower right now but there is a menu governing how it finds its way home. It has 3 phases....

- Move randomly until you find the base
    - Look for a guide wire
    - Follow perimeter

You set how long each of those phases should last. It sounds like you have the phase 1 and 2 times set too high and by the time it gets to phase 3 the battery has already gone dead.

Since you don't have a guide wire yet you should set that to a very low time so that it goes to phase 3 quicker.

I have run the various tests (follow in, follow out, guide etc). In fact they are a must if you want to be sure you have it setup correctly particularly for the narrow corridors as there are settings for those as well (e.g. corridor width).

You can set how close to the wire it will run. You want to set as wide a corridor as you can so that it has a wider space to come in on thus reducing the chance of it creating a path. IIRC you set the width and it will randomly decide to come in 1cm,10cm,3cm etc from the wire thus "never" coming in on the same path twice.

If you are still stuck let me know and I'll look at the menus later and give you exact instructions.

Thanks, let me take a look this evening and see what I can figure out on the menus

Advertisement