Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would a tattoo affect my job opportunities?

Options
  • 08-06-2016 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

I'm currently in college, studying a respected business and language course. I've always loved the idea of tattoos and I've been planning to get my first one sooner rather than later. It wouldn't something big, just something small on my leg that could be easily covered.
    One thing that's putting me off is whether or not a tattoo would hinder my employment opportunities. I know the common answer is "every employer is different", but presuming I'd be seeking a job in an economic, marketing or finance company, do you think I'd be at risk of being turned down?
    Do employers ask up front whether you have a tattoo? What happens if it's noticed in the medical exam?
    Any advice or information appreciated!
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

on your leg, do you plan on wearing shorts

• Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

maxtor100 wrote: »
    I'm currently in college, studying a respected business and language course. I've always loved the idea of tattoos and I've been planning to get my first one sooner rather than later. It wouldn't something big, just something small on my leg that could be easily covered.
    One thing that's putting me off is whether or not a tattoo would hinder my employment opportunities. I know the common answer is "every employer is different", but presuming I'd be seeking a job in an economic, marketing or finance company, do you think I'd be at risk of being turned down?
    Do employers ask up front whether you have a tattoo? What happens if it's noticed in the medical exam?
    Any advice or information appreciated!
    Cheers

I would expect any company would have a dress code of business attire so once the tattoo is somewhere that will be covered during your working day I would think it would be fine.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

If it's on your leg I don't see it having an impact on a future career. Most if not all office/business environments wouldn't allow shorts for work clothes anyway. I can't imagine that a lot of those positions would require a medical or whether it'd be noted in an exam, but I've no idea on that type of work environment to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Employers won't ask if you have a tattoo, but your contract will ask if you have them to cover them up. Nearly all office environments are strictly trousers and shirts for guys. You will never wear shorts in an office unless you are in a super liberal IT company, but jobs are quite limited in those for business.

I imagine the only time the tattoo will be seen is during a weekend away or an activity where you would wear shorts. Most major companies place a massive emphasis on going on weekends away or clubs. Chances are a partner or manager would see it then. I can't imagine it being an issue as long as it is somewhat respectable. Tattoos are more accepted in Ireland, but what you wear and act in a corporate job has been the same for the last 50/60 years

Advertisement