Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

looking for advice to get best online gaming connection possible.

Options
  • 07-06-2016 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭

Ok guys looking for advice.

Moved to new house in Galway city can get fibre and all that good stuff.

Now I don't care about streaming movies or Internet or any other nonsense just 100% gaming.

Which provider is best, and do I need to ask for any extra equipment or settings for stuff like lag, or ping or latency and all that good stuff.

I am not a techie at all not even a little so no idea. What to even think to ask about.

Budget is not an issue.

Thanks in advance.

Pc and ps4 if that makes a difference.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I'm sure of the lads here will answer your question with their experience, but you should also check out the
    'Broadband forum' , chances are they'll know who the 'best' and 'most reliable' providers etc are or what would suit you

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=259

They actually have a STICKY Megathread for it (4th thread from the top)
    Which Provider? What Type Of Broadband? Broadband In My Area? !!POST HERE ONLY!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

SeantheMan wrote:
    I'm sure of the lads here will answer your question with their experience, but you should also check out the 'Broadband forum' , chances are they'll know who the 'best' and 'most reliable' providers etc are or what would suit you

Good call, thanks for the idea

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

I'm sure it goes without saying but just in case... don't go wireless. If you need to, use homeplugs.

If you're on Windows platform and you're going super enthusiast about the latency, use Leatrix Latency fix and look into Nagle's algorithm (I'm unfamiliar with the latter but I read it may effect latency on windows).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

I'm sure it goes without saying but just in case... don't go wireless. If you need to, use homeplugs.

Wired all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Your ping is going to be mostly determined by the quality of the wire from the road to your house, and the distance from your house to the nearest cabinet. Aside from making sure you've a wired connection to the modem I'm not sure there is much you can do other than get the highest rated service from a decent provider. After that you roll the dice and pray to the internet gods.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Virgin Media, simply no comparison for me.

I wouldn't go near Eircom after having two turbulent spells with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 714 ✭✭✭PlainP

Have Magnet. After a few wobbly starts with them connection has been great. Sundays seem to be there downtime.

I'm not too far from the cabinet but speeds wired would be up to 50MB. Would defo recommend.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Currently using Virgin (120MB I think), very happy.

Was previously using Magnet (24 Mb DSL with 1:1 contention), they were ok but their connection to Twitch was poor (3+ years ago now, so I'm sure it's changed as Twitch has become so much bigger).

[edit]
    Just wanted to add that I'm in Dublin City, not Galway, so your mileage may vary :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭dudeeile

I'm with Eircom for 2 years, don't remember it ever being down. Excellent speed, crappy router.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

TBH once you can get decent fibre your sorted. Vodafone/Sky etc are all just Eir resellers and Virgin have a pretty good speed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

PlainP wrote: »
    Have Magnet. After a few wobbly starts with them connection has been great. Sundays seem to be there downtime.

I'm not too far from the cabinet but speeds wired would be up to 50MB. Would defo recommend.

Magnet are a terrible company, would not go near them again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 714 ✭✭✭PlainP

Xenji wrote: »

As I previously mentioned, I did have teething troubles but all that's ironed out now. Have had very few problems.

I'd say the same about Eircom but sure it's just apples and oranges really.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

depends on how fast you can throw them

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

As I previously mentioned, I did have teething troubles but all that's ironed out now. Have had very few problems.

I never had to threaten Eircom with legal action before :p

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Xenji wrote: »

I also had issues when I first signed up but they all turned out to be caused by Eircom at the time.

I rarely have to contact them now for support. The last time was around a year ago when Fibre came to my area and I found the tech team really responsive and helpful, even calling me back to see if I was still getting line drops. In the end they lowered my max speed and it's been rock steady since then.

Also when my fiber modem died close to Christmas they let me come into their office on the north side same day to pick up an exchange instead of having to wait until after the Christmas break. I genuinely don't know of another company or group of people willing to give up time on their holidays to help someone like me.

I guess we all have different experiences with service providers though.

Advertisement