Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fear of failure....

Options
  • 07-06-2016 6:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 855 ✭✭✭

Maybe because I got an A1 in it last year, maybe because it's my favourite subject, maybe because I'm just an angsty guy in general, but I feel really worried about this English exam. I'm scared I'm gonna mess paper 1 up!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭MomijiHime

Don't be afraid of failure. If you fail, you fail and that's it. You got your A1 last year which means you are well capable. If you don't get it again this year, it doesn't mean you're a failure, it means you didn't do so well in that one exam (not saying you will do badly but if all comes to the worst).

That said, you need to have faith in yourself! Don't allow yourself to start thinking like that. If you tell yourself you're going to fail, you will. Tell yourself you're going to ace it, and if you don't, well so what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 855 ✭✭✭TSMGUY

MomijiHime wrote: »
    Don't be afraid of failure. If you fail, you fail and that's it. You got your A1 last year which means you are well capable. If you don't get it again this year, it doesn't mean you're a failure, it means you didn't do so well in that one exam (not saying you will do badly but if all comes to the worst).

That said, you need to have faith in yourself! Don't allow yourself to start thinking like that. If you tell yourself you're going to fail, you will. Tell yourself you're going to ace it, and if you don't, well so what?

Now I know how Bertie feels in the king's speech.

"I'm not a student, I'm not a student!"

TSMGUY wrote: »
    Now I know how Bertie feels in the king's speech.

"I'm not a student, I'm not a student!"

But he does pulls it off in the end, right? :)

You shall be my Logue....

Postscript: TSMGUY went onto be a symbol of resistance for pissed off repeat students everywhere.
    TSMGUY and MommijHime went on to be friends on boards.ie for the rest of their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭A97

Definitely don't worry about it. You're understandably concerned due to the magnitude of the exam you're facing but remember that you're good at this and you have the grade to back it up.

Just do what you have done in other English assignments/tests that have given you such great grades in the past. One of my teachers told me a story about a footballer who reaches the World Cup final and he wonders if he should play differently considering it's the biggest game. However, doing what he normally did is part of the reason why the team got to the final in the first place.

The lesson here is to simply do what you've done in the past. Once you know how to do it well, it's not hard to analyse a passage or to write a good speech every single time as the skills stay with you.

Getting an A1 is difficult but you have proven to yourself that it can be done. Just give it your all when doing the papers and you can be happy that you did your best. The grades usually follow. Good luck.:)

• Advertisement

You shall be my Logue....

Postscript: TSMGUY went onto be a symbol of resistance for pissed off repeat students everywhere.
    TSMGUY and MommijHime went on to be friends on boards.ie for the rest of their lives.

So good things can come from the leaving it seems, who knew?!

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Exiled1

Almost impossible to mess up English exam. Having corrected LCHL for over 20 years, the only messes (and there were very few indeed) were those who chose to rewrite their notes irrespective of the question they were asked. Also a few failed to finish the paper, but that is highly unlikely nowadays given the vast amount of time allowed.
    Fear not.... you will do very well, particularly because of last year, even though it doesn't feel like it at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭TooMuchWork

I cried at the ending. I'm 6'3 with a bloody beard and I cried.

I'm 6'5 and I nearly cried when Lear brought Cordelia's dead body back. Maybe us tall guys aren't so manly after all.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Maybe because I got an A1 in it last year, maybe because it's my favourite subject, maybe because I'm just an angsty guy in general, but I feel really worried about this English exam. I'm scared I'm gonna mess paper 1 up!
    You're doing it again, TSM! Stop, breathe deeply, let the tension flow out .... :p
    Exiled1 wrote: »
    ... the only messes (and there were very few indeed) were those who chose to rewrite their notes irrespective of the question they were asked.
    Seems a good moment to echo (for everyone) one of my (and Spurious' ) constant refrains on here: Answer the question asked!

Take a moment to be sure you know what the question is actually asking, and focus your answer on that.
    I'm 6'5 and I nearly cried when Lear brought Cordelia's dead body back. Maybe us tall guys aren't so manly after all.
    Since when was there a corollary between height and emotional numbness?! :p:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement