Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paper 1 Advice?

Options
  • 07-06-2016 3:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 855 ✭✭✭

Just wanna get down the structure/format. Haven't done a paper 1 question since last year's exams.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭legocrazy505

Look at essay titles first. Then choose a QB after that and do it (should take less than 45 minutes). After that do a QA from one of the texts you didn't do the QB from. Go back after that to the essays and plan for 10-15 minutes.

Not much really to know other than be aware of time, structures of things like letters/articles/speeches and also be familiar with the types of languages.

Also look at the theme at the start I suppose but honestly I never find that's overly relevant other than giving a hint as to what the essay titles might be about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 855 ✭✭✭TSMGUY

[QUOTE=legocrazy505;99955762
    Not much really to know other than be aware of time, structures of things like letters/articles/speeches and also be familiar with the types of languages.

.[/QUOTE]That's the part I'm enquiring about. I want to know what's expected of me in terms of speeches/articles/talks. What's the structure they're looking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭TooMuchWork

Do something different. Do something that the examiner will enjoy reading and sets it apart from the usual boring, anti-climatic stories. I'm sure it would be much appreciated and may help in getting some more leniency.

Part of the reason as to why I'm doing The Great Gatsby as my single text is so its different. Correcting the same, regurgitated essays on King Lear over and over again would surely bore an examiner to death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭legocrazy505

TSMGUY wrote: »
    That's the part I'm enquiring about. I want to know what's expected of me in terms of speeches/articles/talks. What's the structure they're looking for?

Just know how to write them properly. If it's a formal letter know the layout and know how to write in a formal tone. If it's a speech, introduce yourself, use techniques like repetition, call to action, anecdotes and engage with the audience. Talk is the same as a speech. For articles make sure to have a headline and also write in an appropriate way e.g if it's a newspaper be formal but if it's a school website you could be a bit more informal (not too informal though).

Advertisement