Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the point of z-scores?

Options
  • 07-06-2016 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭

I mean for stats analysis purposes. I'm faced with this issue. I'm correlating difference in exam score between two time points to the amount of study time engaged in between those two time points. At first glance, this isn't possible because you can't correlate a difference score to the amount of study time. I did anyway and the Pearson product is 0.67. A potential solution is to convert exam score and study time to z scores for correlation and/or regression. However, for obvious reasons, both linear regression and Pearson still come out at 0.67. In a case such as this I've seen it advised to convert the data to z scores but because there is no difference in outcome, what is the point?

Cheers,
    DH

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭764dak

Did you try doing a Fisher transformation?

Advertisement