Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Requesting House Plan from Builder for New House

Options
  • 07-06-2016 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

I own a property built by a builder in 2014 as part of a very small house estate.

Recently I had a structural engineer doing a structural defect survey for my house due to a couple of concerns I've had and he identified a couple of issues which primarily revolve around bouncy floors.

However, his report also shows big concerns over a large terrace (sitting above the bedroom) which he feels is not structurally adequate and he needs a reassurance from the builder / technical drawings.

1. I have requested a full house plan to be provided by the builder but he has failed in doing so. Is there a way to get access to house plan?

2. Is there a possibility that the builder had built the house without any house plans?

The house is under homebond insurance.

How would you go about it? Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

As somebody who works in architecture, I would have to say that unfortunately, yes, yes I have come across a few houses built without so much as a scribble of a drawing. So it is certainly a possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Or, does the as-built situation match what was on the design drawings....

Who signed off that the house(s) were in compliance with building regulations?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,247 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Get the SE to express his concerns on paper and send to HB.
    You are wasting your time with builder's drawings for the reason Dardania gives..
    What you need is sign on whats there.

Any chance of a picture of the terrace?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Get the SE to express his concerns on paper and send to HB.
    You are wasting your time with builder's drawings for the reason Dardania gives..
    What you need is sign on whats there.

Any chance of a picture of the terrace?

Agree - and while expressing those concerns, they should be made in reference to the building regulations
    e.g. you talking about bouncing of the floor - it may be unsettling for you / not feel solid, but it may actually be in compliance with the regs

• Subscribers Posts: 41,122 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

i cant see the point in requesting drawings because theres no guarantee at all that its built to the drawings.
    I own a property built by a builder in 2014 as part of a very small house estate.

Recently I had a structural engineer doing a structural defect survey for my house due to a couple of concerns I've had

did you not get the structural survey done BEFORE you bought the house???
    was there no cert of compliance on the property? if there was, does the certifying engineer / architect have photos of the build they may be willing to share with you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

sydthebeat wrote: »
    did you not get the structural survey done BEFORE you bought the house???
    was there no cert of compliance on the property? if there was, does the certifying engineer / architect have photos of the build they may be willing to share with you?

Would the arch/eng certify a property not built from drawings?

If there was no cert of compliance / arch involvement could the builder be held to account? Or Homebond?

Now that I think about it, If it was built in 2014 and homebond were involved, it's highly likely it's a si9 build... And thus building regulation compliant drawings would have been needed.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,571 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Now that I think about it, If it was built in 2014 and homebond were involved, it's highly likely it's a si9 build... And thus building regulation compliant drawings would have been needed.

If the OP wants to give me an address or plan ref number then I can check for them.

But if it was built in 2014 and the op moved into the house in 2014 there's a good chance it commenced before SI9.

operative date 1st march 2014

perhaps the builder was clever enough to get the commencement notice in beforehand :)

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭radooo

ALL: thanks very much for sharing your valuable tips so far. I was incorrect about the house being built in 2014. I am looking into the documents and the roof was completed in August 2013. So the entire house must have been finished before 12/2013 and wouldn't have to comply with new SI9 regulations - is that a correct assumption?

I only had a surveyor but not a structural engineer doing a survey when buying a house.

1. Could you explain if acquiring certificate of compliance is compulsory for the builder and how I could access this document?

2. Does HomeBond require building regulation compliant drawings frome very builder and would HomeBond have access to all structural drawings and house plans? (I have been dealing with HomeBond already and highlighted issues that were raised by my structural engineer. Their response was that they take a note of the report but as the raised issues do not currently represent "structural damage" they won't do anything about it. After then I have sent them a more assertive email and now waiting for their response).

3. If the builder never worked off the house plan (if it never existed), what are the potential consequences/issues/risk I should be aware of as the owner of the property and when selling this property?

Thank you again.

• Advertisement

radooo wrote: »
    1. Could you explain if acquiring certificate of compliance is compulsory for the builder and how I could access this document?

if your solicitor did their due diligence during the conveyancing procedure they should have insisted on it and it should be with your purchase documents

2. Does HomeBond require building regulation compliant drawings frome very builder and would HomeBond have access to all structural drawings and house plans? (I have been dealing with HomeBond already and highlighted issues that were raised by my structural engineer. Their response was that they take a note of the report but as the raised issues do not currently represent "structural damage" they won't do anything about it. After then I have sent them a more assertive email and now waiting for their response).

HOMEBOND is only ever a 'structural guarantee' and not a 'latent defects insurance' so unless theres a serious structural fault, you will get no joy from them. Is your engineer actually claiming theres a serious structural fault??
    3. If the builder never worked off the house plan (if it never existed), what are the potential consequences/issues/risk I should be aware of as the owner of the property and when selling this property?

It would not at be unusual for a builder to work off 'planning drawings' and those drawings should be available for viewing in the local authority.

The consumer protection (or severe lack of it) for house purchasers is a well know issue in ireland, and theres nothing that can really be added at this stage.

Advertisement