Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baboon of the Week

Options
  • 07-06-2016 12:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭

In Saturday's Nicky Rackard Cup final it was refreshing to see Mayo sub Stephen Clinch, no. 18, and his opposite number ( no. 17 ) greet each other with a handshake when Clinch came on. How seldom we see that these days. So seldom that it's time to start a GAA thread titled "Baboon of the Week" to highlight the yob mentality that deems it obligatory to give an opponent a dig when said opponent takes the field, or vice versa. Without condoning it, it is understandable that tempers sometimes flare in the heat of battle, but this puerile "I'm here" with a dig before a ball is struck is not to my knowledge replicated in any other sport that lays claim to being a man's game, other than Gaelic football where it is even more prevalent.

P.S. I had drafted this before I read a snippet in yesterday's Irish Times, part of which I quote: " David McInerney got the traditional GAA welcome yesterday. As soon as the Clare sub came onto the field, he was met with a thunderous shoulder from Austin Gleeson. The pair rutted for 30 seconds or so.This phenomenon seems to be unique to Gaelic games - certainly we're unlikely to see it at the Euros."

What is it with us Irish that we can confuse this fairday behaviour with manliness? The physicality of Gaelic games is kid gloves stuff in comparison to rugby or American football. Perhaps if it equalled the physical demands of those games these prepubescent Gaels would have something better to think about than these Neanderthal shapings. I cringe to think of the impression that this nonsense leaves on visitors to our shores watching these games for the first time.

So folks, especially aficionados of the games, I offer you this thread, " Baboon of the Week." Who do you nominate for the title this week?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,756 ✭✭✭corny

Eoghan O' Gara against Laois?

I don't think it achieves much but it doesn't bother me either. Its not rugby but it is a physically confrontational game played by young men. I'd give them a bit of rope.

Funny you should mention the Euros. Soccer is an awful game in its tameness these days but it wasn't always that way. Nor is type of stuff unique to the Irish. The Italians love it. Some of their defenders are cult heroes because they kicked, punched, grabbed players by the balls etc off the ball. That was them being hard men.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

This should be the least of anyone's worries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

Surely John O'Laughlin wins this hands down........

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

in fairness I saw Jonny Copper and a Laois sub shaking hands when the sub came on. Most players just have a glance at who it is and get on with it. O'Gara is just O'Gara. That's his default zone. Not an accomplished tackler!

Baboon of the week has to be the Mayo lad who attempted to end the procreation prospects of the Armagh lad!

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭DuffleBag

The heat of Munster championship cannot be compared IMO to a mickey mouse lower tier competition. Fellas coming on are bound to be more fired up and wanting to get a shoulder etc in.

HOWEVER.... BOTW would go to that Mayo yob that poked yur man in the sack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Chisum

Rugby and American Football players stand opposite sides of the ball and are not man marking games soccer is very tame now and players mark space rather than a player.
    Seems to happen more in hurling than football similar to getting to know each other at the throw in.
    Ice hockey is a game where you see a player getting or giving a introduction and the supporters love it.
    Baboon of the week John O Loughlin getting sent off whatever chance Laois had went with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

DuffleBag wrote:
    The heat of Munster championship cannot be compared IMO to a mickey mouse lower tier competition. Fellas coming on are bound to be more fired up and wanting to get a shoulder etc in.

Lololololololololol

Good effort pal

• Registered Users Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭Xenophile

An off the ball tackle should merit a yellow card.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭robbiezero

feargale wrote: »
    In Saturday's Nicky Rackard Cup final it was refreshing to see Mayo sub Stephen Clinch, no. 18, and his opposite number ( no. 17 ) greet each other with a handshake when Clinch came on. How seldom we see that these days. So seldom that it's time to start a GAA thread titled "Baboon of the Week" to highlight the yob mentality that deems it obligatory to give an opponent a dig when said opponent takes the field, or vice versa. Without condoning it, it is understandable that tempers sometimes flare in the heat of battle, but this puerile "I'm here" with a dig before a ball is struck is not to my knowledge replicated in any other sport that lays claim to being a man's game, other than Gaelic football where it is even more prevalent.

P.S. I had drafted this before I read a snippet in yesterday's Irish Times, part of which I quote: " David McInerney got the traditional GAA welcome yesterday. As soon as the Clare sub came onto the field, he was met with a thunderous shoulder from Austin Gleeson. The pair rutted for 30 seconds or so.This phenomenon seems to be unique to Gaelic games - certainly we're unlikely to see it at the Euros."

What is it with us Irish that we can confuse this fairday behaviour with manliness? The physicality of Gaelic games is kid gloves stuff in comparison to rugby or American football. Perhaps if it equalled the physical demands of those games these prepubescent Gaels would have something better to think about than these Neanderthal shapings. I cringe to think of the impression that this nonsense leaves on visitors to our shores watching these games for the first time.

So folks, especially aficionados of the games, I offer you this thread, " Baboon of the Week." Who do you nominate for the title this week?

The do it in soccer too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Xenophile wrote: »
    An off the ball tackle should merit a yellow card.

The player who receives the unwelcome "welcome" should go to ground and stay down until he attracts the attention of the officials. And a yellow card should follow. As has been said here this type of antic is not part of other games such as Soccer and Rugby and it should be rooted out from the GAA.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I'm going to retrospectively nominate that fine upstanding citizen, that defender of the weak & defenseless against the forces of thuggery & violence....yes, Garda Aidan O'Mahony, come on down and accept your 2015 award, for your outstandingly courteous welcome of Kevin McMannamon, onto the field of play, of the 2015 All Ireland Final.

If any one has even one shred of doubt that this fine specimen of manly...ehh...manhood, is fully deserving of the plaudits that come his way, check out RTE's fly on the wall AI final documentary. You'll laugh. You'll cry. You'll piss yourself laughing when he finally gets a Black Card, but walks away, pretending not to notice, the picture of pure, virginal, innocence. Oh Aidan, you utter scamp you !

(Naturally, he being from Kerry, the other "S" word does not apply. That's reserved for Dubs & dem Nordie bastids.)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

ProudDUB wrote: »
    I'm going to retrospectively nominate that fine upstanding citizen, that defender of the weak & defenseless against the forces of thuggery & violence....yes, Garda Aidan O'Mahony, come on down and accept your 2015 award, for your outstandingly courteous welcome of Kevin McMannamon, onto the field of play, of the 2015 All Ireland Final.

If any one has even one shred of doubt that this fine specimen of manly...ehh...manhood, is fully deserving of the plaudits that come his way, check out RTE's fly on the wall AI final documentary. You'll laugh. You'll cry. You'll piss yourself laughing when he finally gets a Black Card, but walks away, pretending not to notice, the picture of pure, virginal, innocence. Oh Aidan, you utter scamp you !

(Naturally, he being from Kerry, the other "S" word does not apply. That's reserved for Dubs & dem Nordie bastids.)

He also gouged McCaffrey who had to be taken off and promptly legged it back up the pitch!

His previous highlights include his spectacular dive in attempt to have Cork's Noel O'Leary sent off in 2011.

You feel somehow safer knowing that AOM is watching our back, do you not ?

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭DuffleBag

I believe it's "Baboon of the week" not Baboon of 2015....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Yes, I know. But since when do topics around here, ever stay 100% on point? ;)

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

I can see this thread causing a lot of hassle, so we are going to review it before reopening it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement