Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drum Kit Upgrading Help

Options
  • 06-06-2016 11:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

10" 12" 16" Millenium Toms-Fitted with remo skins and tuned well so they don't sound to bad.
    22" Millenium Bass Drum-Same as the Toms
    14" Gretsch Taylor Hawkins Signature Snare
    Paiste 14" PST8 Hi-Hat
    16" Zildjian A-Custom crash
    18" Zildjian ZHT crash
    20" Zildjian ZHT ride

Where do I go from here upgrade wise?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,906 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

It depends, are you gigging regularly, or just jamming at home?

I've never played a Millenium kit, but even cheap sets have come a long way. Especially with good heads and knowing how to tune. I'd always go for cymbals, as an upgrade.

You don't have to spend big bucks either. The other smaller manufactures are of incredible quality.

I started off with nowt, some highly embarrassing moments throughout the years. You'll appreciate it more, when you do make the decision to upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Max Fagan

Should I upgrade my cymbals or buy like splashes and chinas? I don't need a new 16" cause I have an A-custom which is amazing. Also for now I'm just a jamming at home/ jamming with friends guy but we plan to do youtube recordings or whatever. Maybe over the summer trying to record an EP or something

If it were me, and considering your gonna record. Then definitely upgrade on the 18 & 20. Your current cymbals will sound thin and cheap.

Splashes further down the road. China's are great, I never had any luck with them. They'd always crack.

Those cymbals with all the holes (Aero I think?), will give a similar effect. And sound tasty combined with a crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Max Fagan

Thanks, and the ones with holes are called effect cymbals I think(as like a general term). In terms of toms and base drum, should I just buy piece by piece or buy a whole new kit and maybe sell what I don't need?

Max Fagan wrote: »
    Thanks, and the ones with holes are called effect cymbals I think(as like a general term). In terms of toms and base drum, should I just buy piece by piece or buy a whole new kit and maybe sell what I don't need?

Depends on your finances? Preferable buying in its entirety. It's a buyers market out there in the 2nd hand department. Save up the scheckles, don't rush things.

Better off saving, and buying exactly what you want for your needs. Even if it means 6 months to a year or two of hard saving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭bluefinger

You've huge possibilities for upgrading depending on your budget, what you like, how happy you are with your hardware etc.

In your shoes i might add an effect cymbal such as a china or ozone type. It adds an extra voice/colour to the kit which could be good for accents.

one of my main upgrades was to gradually build up a decent set of cymbals from the B8's i initially used and you seem to be going in that direction yourself by the looks of your cymbal setup. so maybe look at upgrading the 18 and 20 inch? Just my opinion... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭FR85

An 18" A Custom Crash is all I can see you needing to possibly look at for the minute, get them matched nicely. Don't just buy the first one, bring yours with you to the shop and match them, don't just go by the stamp on the cymbal......they all sound marginally different!! I have Sabian Hand Hammered Thin Crashes from 14" up to 18", the 14", 16" and 18" were all bought together and the 15" and 17" were bought afterwards and these last two don't fit in audibly with the others!! It's not a "placebo" either, others have said it!!!

Moving away from cymbals you never mentioned your hardware, a good hats stand and kick pedal can really enhance your playing and improve technique.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I'd also say hardware could be a worthy upgrade. Pedals can make a big difference - I found that when I got my hands on some DW pedals.
    A decent throne is always a good investment and worth spending money on a quality item.
    Cymbals are always good to have - I like loads on my kit even if I only set up 4 drums - but then you also have to think about more stands or extension arms and if you're going to move the kit, cases.
    If you haven't got one, you NEED a cowbell! :)

Advertisement