Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can It Happen? RE: Maths Paper 1&2 OL

Options
  • 06-06-2016 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Recently started studying for my OL Maths exam. Having dropped at the beginning of this year from HL, I am hoping that I can manage to get a B3 in OL.

In regards to studying the papers, can a topic from Paper 2 come up on Paper 1 and vice versa? I have my Paper 1 this Friday and Paper 2 the following Monday and I'm wondering if I solely study Paper 1 on Thursday, mainly focusing on previous Paper 1 exam papers, will I not run into any trouble from a question that is suppose to be on Paper 2?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

Vilas wrote: »
    Recently started studying for my OL Maths exam. Having dropped at the beginning of this year from HL, I am hoping that I can manage to get a B3 in OL.

In regards to studying the papers, can a topic from Paper 2 come up on Paper 1 and vice versa? I have my Paper 1 this Friday and Paper 2 the following Monday and I'm wondering if I solely study Paper 1 on Thursday, mainly focusing on previous Paper 1 exam papers, will I not run into any trouble from a question that is suppose to be on Paper 2?

Cheers.
    You might get a tad bit of cross-over but nothing major. Area and Volume, Algebra & Functions can kind of appear on either side, but they're mostly Paper One topics. Do the past paper one exam papers between now and Friday and you'll soon get the hang of what comes up where.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭skippy1977

Agreed, small bit of crossover but this close to the exam you want to concentrate on Paper 1 stuff...

Paper 2 type stuff on Paper 1: (excluding Area and Volume which is generally split fairly evenly over Paper 1 and Paper 2)

2015 - Trigonometry (in the complex Numbers Question, had to know either Cosine Rule or Pythagoras and Ratios to find Angle)
    2014 - Needed slope formula in question 9.
    2013 - Needed slope formula in question 6, knowledge of perpendicular slopes.
    2012 - Needed to be able to get the slope given the equation of a line.

So not a whole lot but have a fairly good knowledge of slopes, perpendicular slopes, parallel slopes, how to find the slope in a line, how to find the equation of a tangent (line) to a curve. Where does a function cross the x and y axis...etc

Bit of trigonometry (pythagoras, the ratios to find angles).

And have a decent knowledge of Area and Volume....at least where (and which) formulae are in the tables.

Really they can throw in anything...but they will limit it to one or two pieces per paper. Like they won't throw in a full 25 mark statistics question or anything like that but expect a little crossover.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Vilas

Thanks, you've been of great help! Will do a quick look over Paper 2 before Friday then.

Cheers

Advertisement