Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arma 3 server

Options
  • 06-06-2016 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭

Lads, looking for a really cheap/second hand build for an arma 3 server, was thinking xeon should fit the bill, any of you enlighten me on the way to go with this

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Laviski

Just curious

What is the scope of the arma 3 server? What u plan having on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

Arma plus the usual mods rhs cup ace etc with a player base of 12 right now hopefully expanding as time goes on. Creating our own missions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Whats the budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

What are the economics of renting a VPS vs building your own?

rental is ballpark 300 a year,
    own build??? not sure thinking picking up a second hand machine i7 sub 300, budget is as little as possible to run the server smoothly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Are you hosting it on your own internet connection or with an ISP?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

http://touch.adverts.ie/other-computers/lenovo-s20-xeon-desktop-pc/10612724#page-top

Thats all I could find on adverts at a quick glance.

Most i7 second hand even old ones most people want over the odds.

I'm using my own connection, which is ftth
    thought adverts would be the way forward but there isn't much at the lower end at all,

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

A xeon with an SSD would run it, 1gb of ram for every 5 people so go with 8 :D

Use your own PC as benchmarking tool with this software.

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=11655

Also you will need another copy of Arma 3 if the mission requires headless client.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Hey,have you gone any further with this?

Im sitting on a 3570k,a Z77 board and 8gigs of ram,which is plenty for one decently sized instance. Ive done a good bit of looking into this and plan to set up a server at some point myself. Just waiting till i have a little more spare cash to get a case and ssd so i can throw the build together. Depending on the amount of players you intend to have on the server bandwhith is usually the limiting factor. A decent i5 that you can overclock should be good,single core clock speed/performance is more important than the amount of cores from what i read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

He's FTTH so depending on the provider he'll have upwards of 30Mbps upstream but it does seem to be pretty heavy on the network side:
    It also seems to use a fair bit of bandwidth, 12 players online used a steady 10 Mbit (1250 KB/s)

You could probably run 120 CSS players in the same :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

A Xeon or i7-2600 based Dell or HP with 8Gb of ram can be easily gotten for around 250-300 on ebay, still an excellent performer too.

Hi yeah I managed to get an old i3 dell form one of the lads in the group and picked up an i7 2600 on eBay for €110 so hopefully should be up and running this week, as mentioned above I'm lucky to have an excellent connection so speeds shouldn't be an issue, will report back when we get tested a little!
    Thanks for all the input!

Server has been running around a week now and the i7 is doing a great job, we installed a 240 gb ssd and have 8gb ram and with a small group on server(10/11 was the most so far) it's been flawless. Thanks for all the input and if anyone is doing something similar feel free to drop me a line with any questions :D

Advertisement