Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Accessing EV charging points in the UK - how?

  • 06-06-2016 8:39pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭ makeorbrake


    I am in the process of sourcing a used Leaf from the UK. I suspect within the next few weeks, I'll be taking a trip over there to collect it and drive it back.

    Naturally, whilst I'm over there, I need access to charging points so that I can drive the thing back. What's the easiest way to achieve this?


    I tried to sign up to ecotricity just now - gave them a parcel motel address and a hooky uk phone number and car reg (seeing as I don't know what it is yet...and even when I do, it still wont reflect my ownership details at that point should they check DVLA records).


    Similary, with our own charging network, they ask for proof of ownership of an EV before they'll issue a card. I've emailed them explaining the scenario - hopefully will hear something back tomorrow. Notwithstanding that, anyone have any experience of this?


Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 11,226 ✭✭✭✭ KCross


    Answered here:
    http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057584653/1

    They will post one over without car details.

    You need to double check your route home though as you may need to use a network other than ecotricity.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭ makeorbrake


    KCross wrote: »
    Answered here:
    http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057584653/1

    They will post one over without car details.

    You need to double check your route home though as you may need to use a network other than ecotricity.

    That's a hell of a posting KCross - thanks for that. I've done a car import run within the last year from the UK. Between the run itself and the paperwork, it's not without some difficulty. However, an EV import brings on another level of complexity.

    You've covered all of the issues I've been contemplating (albeit I'm working in advance as I have as yet to source a vehicle...but that's only a matter of time).

    PM sent.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭ makeorbrake


    Similarly, with our own charging network, they ask for proof of ownership of an EV before they'll issue a card. I've emailed them explaining the scenario - hopefully will hear something back tomorrow. Notwithstanding that, anyone have any experience of this?
    Just an update on this - for any future readers of this thread looking at importing...

    I spoke to the guys at Ecars/ESB. They have agreed to provide me with a card in advance of me providing proof of ownership details. They are happy to do so provided I send them on a recent utility bill as proof of address now - and follow through with the other documentation afterwards. Glad to see them taking a pragmatic and workable approach to this.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭ makeorbrake


    I've now received both my Ecars/ESB card and my Ecotricity card for their UK rapid charging network.

    All that's missing is a car! The search continues...


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭ k123456


    I've now received both my Ecars/ESB card and my Ecotricity card for their UK rapid charging network.

    All that's missing is a car! The search continues...
    Hi makeorbrake , just out of interest, approx how much are you saving importing a car from UK, and what year are you planning to buy... Thanks


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭ makeorbrake


    k123456 wrote: »
    Hi makeorbrake , just out of interest, approx how much are you saving importing a car from UK, and what year are you planning to buy... Thanks

    It's hard to say at the moment. Thought it was more until I discovered a lot of what I was looking at was leased-battery - not battery owned. It's frustrating as a lot of adverts don't state this.

    Probably not as much as I first envisaged but there's still a difference probably of a couple of thousand. Also, sterling has dropped back a bit (due to Brexit uncertainty) which helps.

    I'm looking for something very specific - so would probably have to wait for an age for it to come up in Ireland i.e. a 132 (63 reg) Mk 1.5 Acenta with 6.6kW on-board charging that's battery-owned rather than leased. They're not that plentiful in the UK either but I'll simply wait and bide my time until something suitable at the right price point pops up.

    Decide what you need - and check for yourself - making the comparisons between what you see on autotrader and carzone / carsireland. Just make sure you are comparing like with like.

    As an example, I was offered a 141 Leaf Acenta for £8250 (€10,350) last week. Cheapest similar I can find on carzone = €14,500. I'd imagine the irish thing will mean there will be some discounting off that price whereas they dont tend to do that as much in the UK (or not to the same extent).


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭ k123456


    certainly big savings to me made 4k is huge. Occasionaly used leafs come up here : https://speakev.com/forums/EV-Classifieds/


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭ makeorbrake


    k123456 wrote: »
    certainly big savings to me made 4k is huge. Occasionaly used leafs come up here : https://speakev.com/forums/EV-Classifieds/

    Well, you have to temper that. Irish dealers are likely to discount more - and you also have to factor in the costs in time and money of going across and bringing back. Yup, speakev is a good source of info.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭ Scottie99


    I'd advise you to get CYC card. Along with your Ecotricity card you'd be set.
    http://chargeyourcar.org.uk


  • Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭ oinkely


    I'd second Scotties recommendation, depending on your route home.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭ proponent


    Super information there lads, thank you.

    Two queries...

    With regard to the CRC card thats pretty self explanatory its like a pre paid card but there doesnt appear to be many of their charge points along the a55 in Wales so its definitly a good idea to have the Ecotricity card, here is my question though. How do you top up or add credit to your ecotricity card as when you sign up online for an account it asks you for a domestic electricity bill for presumably a UK address.
    How did you get around that?

    One other query regarding insurance.. do you ask a UK insurance company to cover you or do you ask your existing Irish insurance company to cover the new UK registered vehicle untill you re plate it here?

    Dave


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭ makeorbrake


    proponent wrote: »
    Super information there lads, thank you.

    Two queries...

    With regard to the CRC card thats pretty self explanatory its like a pre paid card but there doesnt appear to be many of their charge points along the a55 in Wales so its definitly a good idea to have the Ecotricity card

    I appreciate the guys advice but I'm going to take my chances with ecotricity card only. I'm collecting within an hour of Liverpool - might just take the Liverpool ferry - back and that cuts out the uncertainty.
    proponent wrote: »
    here is my question though. How do you top up or add credit to your ecotricity card as when you sign up online for an account it asks you for a domestic electricity bill for presumably a UK address.
    How did you get around that?
    Add credit? As of right now, they don't charge for their EV chargers - so not quite sure where you're getting that.

    I ordered one online via their website. I gave a Parcel Motel address. Someone else from here told me they just emailed them and explained the circumstances - and on that basis, they sent them a card.
    proponent wrote: »
    One other query regarding insurance.. do you ask a UK insurance company to cover you or do you ask your existing Irish insurance company to cover the new UK registered vehicle untill you re plate it here?
    In advance of going over, ask your insurance company what it would cost you to switch over permanently to the new vehicle (just so that there are no surprises).
    Once you pick up and pay for same - before you drive away, ring your insurance company and give them the vehicle details - inclusive of uk reg, etc. and ask them to switch over cover.


    When you buy the vehicle, make sure that you insist on getting ALL sections of the V5! Do NOT let the dealer retain their section and send it off to the DVLA in Swansea. You will be waiting weeks for them to process - and Irish Customs don't care about that. They will apply interest/penalties if you don't produce the required documents within X number of hours (sorry...cant remember exactly how soon ...maybe 48 hours??).


  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭ proponent


    AHHH

    why didnt I think of that... Liverpool ferry of course... am picking car up in the Wirral,,

    makes perfect sense!!

    Sorry didnt know it was ll free there so thats great.. ordered the ecotricity card to my parcel motel so all in order there... thank you.

    Thank you for the tip re the V5R.

    Very excited about this.

    Has anybody any recommendations as to a good company to install the home charging port?


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭ cros13


    proponent wrote: »
    Has anybody any recommendations as to a good company to install the home charging port?

    http://www.rexelenergysolutions.co.uk/product/2500526428/Rolec-Mode-3-EV-WallPod-Charging-Station-With-32amp-Type-2-IEC62196-Socket

    Buy the chargepoint yourself and tell your local electrician you want a 32 amp outdoor socket installed. When they show up hand them the chargepoint. It's the same work.

    It's not a specialist job, but some people seem to want to make business from it.


  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭ mr.dunkey


    Any electrician can fit these, www.theEVcompany.com based in Kildare sell these from 300euro.
    They also can get a electrician to fit if in Dublin/ Kildare
    proponent wrote: »
    AHHH

    why didnt I think of that... Liverpool ferry of course... am picking car up in the Wirral,,

    makes perfect sense!!

    Sorry didnt know it was ll free there so thats great.. ordered the ecotricity card to my parcel motel so all in order there... thank you.

    Thank you for the tip re the V5R.

    Very excited about this.

    Has anybody any recommendations as to a good company to install the home charging port?


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭ reboot


    Recently due to the restrictions in N. Ireland, Donard Park, Newcastle Co. Down was closed for some time, with steel barriers and no access signs.
    Thinking Ecar. N. I. would be interested, I emailed them the information,only to receive in return the oxymoronic reply, "We havent" been officially notified"
    Given the fact that I'm standing looking at it and it's likely there wont be an available CP for 100 sq. Miles, this was disappointing.


  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators Posts: 81,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭ biko


    Thread from 2016 closed


This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement