Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LC IRISH - ORDINARY LEVEL - COMHRÁ (WRITE A CONVERSATION)

Options
  • 06-06-2016 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭

Hello,
    So I am in panic mode right now as our Irish Teacher gave us absolutely no indication on how to write a Comhrá - We have to choose 2 out of 4 options on paper 1.
    - I am choosing:
    - Litir and Comhrá

We were told to answer these 2.
    I have no idea how to write out a comhra AT ALL and I really need help if anyone could please just briefly tell me how to do one..
    key phrases...
    sample ones if available...
    Thank You!!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You just write the words the person says in your comhrá.

Máire - "Blah blah blah."
    Seán - "Blah? Blah blah blah blah?"
    Máire - "Blah!!!!"

agus araile.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

jamie124 wrote: »
    Hello,
    So I am in panic mode right now as our Irish Teacher gave us absolutely no indication on how to write a Comhrá - We have to choose 2 out of 4 options on paper 1.
    - I am choosing:
    - Litir and Comhrá

I have no idea how to write out a comhra AT ALL and I really need help if anyone could please just briefly tell me how to do one..
    key phrases...
    Thank You!!

I wouldn't really recommend the comhra. Part A or B would probably be easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭PMBC

Hello,
    - I am choosing:
    - Litir and Comhrá

key phrases...
    Thank You!!

God love you. Its more than 40 years since I did my LC.
    It might be necessary to head the converdation with something like 'Comhra idir Sean agus Maire' but that depends on how the Comhra question is presented. If the paper does not give the question such as give a comhra idir Maire agus Sean ar ....You could do the comhra on a simple topic such as a day at the seaside where you would have phrases from essays. Like aas follows
    Comhra idir M agus S ar laethana saoire.
    Sean: Conas a ta tu a Mhaire or Dia dhuit etc
    Maire: Dia is Mhuire dhuit a Sheain. Taim go mhait agus tu fein?
    S: O, ta me tar eis mo laethanta saoire agus nil se go maith liom.
    Maire: Ca raibh tu/siobh?
    S: O bhios I Dun na NGall/Ciarrai etc agus bhi an aimsir uafasach maith, an grian ag taithneamh gach la agus an tra dubh le daoine.
    Googler a day at the seaside and get the trans. Don't copy it verbatim but use some of the ideas ans phrases.
    Be carfeul with my Irish, here, as I HAVENT WRITTEN OR SPOKEN IT IN YEARS

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭emersyn

Our teacher told us not to touch the cómhra, I really think you should consider looking at the other options - have you done any practise on the others? The litir is a good option and you will pick up marks just for writing the addresses/dates. For the blag the topics that come up are generally things that you prepared for the oral, or at least things that are simple enough to write a good bit about on the spot even if you haven't prepared them. Then with the scéal you have a lot of free range with the direction of the story - most people will learn off vocab and phrases about an accident involving a car crash/fire and hospital visit and nine times of of ten you will be able to twist the title to fit your prepared topic. Do you have your textbook with you? The one we use is called Fuinneamh and it has sections on each type of composition with good vocab. If you live near a bookshop maybe go and have a look at the revision books - not much point in buying one at this stage but you can flip through them and discreetly take photos of pages with good vocab. There's some good phrases/vocab for the scéal here if you decide to go down that route. Keep your sentences simple, focus on getting your verb tenses right and you will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭jamie124

EVERYONE!,
    Thank you so so much you have no idea how much that means that is absolutely EXCELLENT help!.
    Unfortunately though, we haven't done ANY OTHER topics other than LITIR and COMHRA as our teacher said these were the easiest to do. (who was a sub at the time and you can read about her in my other posts which are not so pleasant but it MIGHT explain why this is the situation)
    Our proper Irish Teacher came back after Easter and did last minute revision and we only focused on the litir and comprehensions (enough to pass) and of course, the oral...

QUICK QUESTION: Does anyone know that if you do a fairly good or average oral is it enough to pass? like just a D3 because that is all I need in Ordinary Irish... and if you do a good listening is it still enough to pass AT LEAST?
    Also, I have absolutely no knowledge on how to answer the PROS AGUS FILIOCHT sections either!!! So (this sounds bad I know!) but I feel like I am just going to have to write random crap on this section of PAPER 2 god forbid :(...
    I am quite worried about Paper 2... But as I said , If I did well in my oral and hopefully do good in my Aural (Listening) will I pass??

Thank You All Once Again! :) x

• Advertisement

QUICK QUESTION: Does anyone know that if you do a fairly good or average oral is it enough to pass? like just a D3 because that is all I need in Ordinary Irish... and if you do a good listening is it still enough to pass AT LEAST?
    Also, I have absolutely no knowledge on how to answer the PROS AGUS FILIOCHT sections either!!! So (this sounds bad I know!) but I feel like I am just going to have to write random crap on this section of PAPER 2 god forbid :(...
    I am quite worried about Paper 2... But as I said , If I did well in my oral and hopefully do good in my Aural (Listening) will I pass??

Thank You All Once Again! :) x[/QUOTE]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

Thank You All Once Again! :) x
    [/QUOTE]

Well your Oral is worth 40% of your overall grade, so if you got full marks in your oral you could probably pass but that's unlikely tbh. Just make an effort with Paper 1 and Paper 2 and you'll be fine. Concentrate on the listening and writing letters for Paper 1. Learn a few phrases for the Scéal/Essay.

For Paper 2 focus on the Comprehensions. They're worth an insane amount of marks and they're never too tricky tbh. Practice will make these perfect (saying that I know you don't have a lot of time left to practice). Other than that just look at the past questions for the poetry and prose. Just try to answer those and you'll nearly be fine for whatever comes up on Tuesday.

Thanks again everyone!
    Turns out that I did the Litir and the Comhrá - they were the only options that I could answer.. It was too late to learn the Scéal - aw well... Hope for the best I suppose...

The Listening was also quite tough though I have to say and it was mostly in a northern Ireland accent which I find VERY hard to understand...
    Paper 2 was a nightmare although the Comprehensions were nice enough thank god but I made up PURE WAFFLE on my Prós agus Filiocht :(
    I just hope that I pass :(

Advertisement