Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Superhero action figures,collectibles and memorabilia thread

Options
  • 06-06-2016 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭

So yeah does what it says in the thread title what have ya got

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

An unexpected reward from parenting has been the action figures. I was never especially into them for myself as they were never really available nor affordable when I was younger but I love them so much now. I especially adore the 2" figures like DC Imaginext, Playskool Heroes (Marvel and Star Wars) and Marvel's Super Hero Squad, with honourable mention to DC Action League figures and Jazwares Teen Titans Go Deluxe set. They are supposedly aimed at children from 3-8 but with characters like the Red Hood in the Imaginext line, they are clearly also being marketed to collectors.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I started this thread to see if I was the only one lol ,I've got plenty Marvel Legends love them

Check out the next x-men Wave

B8343AS00-2.jpg?1464804812

One of the things I enjoy most is making custom figures. I've made my son a number of figures that either don't exist or were too expensive to buy for a 3 year old.
    9znfgo.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

iguana wrote: »
    One of the things I enjoy most is making custom figures. I've made my son a number of figures that either don't exist or were too expensive to buy for a 3 year old.
    9znfgo.png
    You made these? 3D printer?

smash wrote: »
    You made these? 3D printer?

No, nothing so fancy. I used other figures and mixed and matched parts to make the basic shape. Then carved and filed or used modelling clay to fix the detail. Sprayed them with a primer, painted them and then covered them with a clear lacquer so they would hold up to being played with. Red Hulk was the easiest as he was just a repaint of a green Hulk.

I got the idea as my son wanted a Batcave for Christmas but he wanted a Batgirl figure too as The Batman is his preferred Batman cartoon and she is the secondary character in that rather than Robin. I tried to buy her online but Imaginext didn't make her last year and I accidentally stumbled onto a custom figure forum and decided to try make them for myself.

http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=32

• Advertisement

That's pretty cool. I find a great place for figures are car boot sales. I've got my son some pretty good ones over the years. Even some original starwars figures for 50c each. I also picked up a full set of The Incredibles figures on ebay for less than a tenner.

Thanks. I buy mostly secondhand and have gotten some great deals. My son wants Star Wars Galactic Heroes/Jedi Force for Christmas, which are nearly impossible to buy in Ireland. He saw them in January in Toys'R'Us before the shut down. Thankfully he's a very single minded kid so I have plenty of time to get the best deals on ebay. I'm planning on him waking up Christmas morning to a whole Ice Planet Hoth scene under the tree. It'll give a whole new meaning to white Christmas.:)

iguana wrote: »
    Thanks. I buy mostly secondhand and have gotten some great deals. My son wants Star Wars Galactic Heroes/Jedi Force for Christmas, which are nearly impossible to buy in Ireland. He saw them in January in Toys'R'Us before the shut down. Thankfully he's a very single minded kid so I have plenty of time to get the best deals on ebay. I'm planning on him waking up Christmas morning to a whole Ice Planet Hoth scene under the tree. It'll give a whole new meaning to white Christmas.:)

Smyths used to stock them but that was years ago now. My son has a stack of them and the millennium falcon.

smash wrote: »
    Smyths used to stock them but that was years ago now. My son has a stack of them and the millennium falcon.

Yeah, when I look at price scanner websites, I get a lot of old links to bricks and mortar shops that used to sell them. There were some great deals in Debenhams a few years back. I wish I'd had the foresight to collect them when I was pregnant.:D

Advertisement