Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yeats's Poetry

Options
  • 06-06-2016 10:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭

Does anyone know how to approach a Yeats question titled 'Consider Yeats a poet of conflict'?
    Does this mean actual conflict or contrast within his poetry?

Also is it Yeats's, Yeats' or just Yeats? :p

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

As written, that title could mean either a poet who wrote about conflict, or a poet who was conflicted in his poetry. You could answer it either way.

William Butler Yeats.
    Yeats was a poet.
    Yeats' poetry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭user53

Thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 CreepyOnion

spurious wrote: »
    As written, that title could mean either a poet who wrote about conflict, or a poet who was conflicted in his poetry. You could answer it either way.

William Butler Yeats.
    Yeats was a poet.
    Yeats' poetry.

It's actually Yeats's poetry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 855 ✭✭✭TSMGUY

mate, you have to get 575 points and you're concerning yourself with such minutiae! Get off boards and study so you don't have to repeat next year!

TSMGUY wrote: »
    mate, you have to get 575 points and you're concerning yourself with such minutiae! Get off boards and study so you don't have to repeat next year!

Haha, just said it because OP asked :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭user53

Thank you :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Why does it not follow the rules of English?
    Is it a Stephens's day kind of thing?

Why does it not follow the rules of English?
    Is it a Stephens's day kind of thing?

The apostrophe after an s is for plurals. There's only one Stephen, I think :P

But James' Street?
    Dr. Steevens' hospital?
    St. Thomas' Hospital Trust?

Not trying to be picky. Perhaps I should ask this in the English forum.

But James' Street?
    Dr. Steevens' hospital?

Please do. If you're right then my English teacher has some explaining to do...

• Advertisement

I was under the impression that (for example) James' Street was correct, but James's Street had become recently acceptable.

To see 'Yeats's poetry' written in academic sites looks very odd to a child of a 1970's education. I shall ask the experts.

I was under the impression that (for example) James' Street was correct, but James's Street had become recently acceptable.

To see 'Yeats's poetry' written in academic sites looks very odd to a child of a 1970's education. I shall ask the experts.

Watch Yeats NOT come up now.

If I were a betting sort...1916 anniversary? Methinks Willie would be definitely worth a punt.

That said, I am not (nor ever have been) an English teacher and am speculating wildly.

On the Yeats' or Yeats's question - it seems it is entirely a stylistic thing. Both are correct today. Whichever one you choose stick to it. I didn't start a thread on it in the English forum as there was already one on James' or James's.

Dickens is another one. US sites seem to write about 'Dickens's writing' while British based sites write of 'Dickens' writing'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 855 ✭✭✭TSMGUY

"a terrible beauty is born...."

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

But James' Street?
    Dr. Steevens' hospital?

That's a matter of preference these days.

But regular plural possessive nouns still always end in an apostrophe.

Edit: Oops, too slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 TrashyTrackman

Either is correct. It's how you would say Jesus' coat instead of Jesus's coat. Though you won't be wrong staying either, the latter is quite different to say.
    Want to make it more confusing add multiple Jesus's, "The Jesus's's coats..."

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭daraghwal

The chief examiner wrote Yeats's in the 2010 Question anyway! :O

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭nermal15

I was taught in college that you can use either Yeats' or Yeats's, they're both acceptable. As long as there is an apostrophe in there somewhere...my students seem to think they're an optional extra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭sheep?

I've been told that both s' and s's are acceptable, but that s's is more common. That's up for debate, but whichever one you chose, just be consistent in your use.

And the very best of luck!

Advertisement