Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smoking hotel rooms in Ireland

Options
  • 05-06-2016 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi,

I am bringing my grandmother away for her birthday. I am looking for nice hotels with smoking rooms.

Has anyone stayed in a hotel with smoking rooms in Ireland that they would recommend?

Its tougher than I thought to find one.

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭dohouch

Always thought that your "own hotel bedroom" was excluded from anti-smoking legislation, as it was classed a "dwelling or home" for the time of your occupation.

Love to know the answer.

We're not suffering, only complaining 😞

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭unjedilike

I don't think such a thing exists anymore

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

dohouch wrote: »
    Always thought that your "own hotel bedroom" was excluded from anti-smoking legislation, as it was classed a "dwelling or home" for the time of your occupation.

Love to know the answer.

It might be exempt from the law, but wouldn't be commercially sensible to waste a nice room just for smokers that you can't then use for anyone else.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I know the Clarion hotel in Linerick has/had smoking rooms.

I got one one time by mistake and the smell was awful.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Do people really smoke that much in them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Archeron

The last one I found was the Radisson in little island cork. It was about four years ago, so might have changed since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

No such thing anymore in Ireland as a hotel smoking room - it is illegal. Hotels, hostels, B&B's , 'Guesthouses' etc a have staff and so cannot have their health compromised by smoke in their work environment.
    You might be able to rent a private summer house for a few days & then smoke there but again I'd guess that like most places would keep the deposit or take a e200 cleaning fee if they found you smoking in it - prevents it being rentable to others who object to the smell/residueof smoke. Summer houses are usually a lot lowerstandard than hotels - grim bare hard to damage places in the middle of nowhere & convenient to nothing - I've never stayed in a commercial one I couldsay was nice orcould recommend.
    Your Gran could just do what the rest of Ireland does & smoke outside. Many places have 'smoking rooms' for this - rough & ready but often heated & mostly rainproof. Could be a whole new prohibition style experience for her!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Story Bud?

No such thing anymore in Ireland as a hotel smoking room - it is illegal. Hotels, hostels, B&B's , 'Guesthouses' etc a have staff and so cannot have their health compromised by smoke in their work environment.

Not true.

Hotels are an exception. However most hotels don't allow it at their discretion.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/health_and_safety/ban_on_smoking_in_the_workplace_in_ireland.html

You could try for a hotel with a balcony perhaps?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Archeron wrote: »
    The last one I found was the Radisson in little island cork. It was about four years ago, so might have changed since then.

I'm staying down there tomorrow night so can ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 xxINeedHelpxx

Thanks for all the helpful answers. Just so others know I have come accross a few. But after all my searching I actually decided to book the wine port lodge its not a smoking room but beautiful balconies I couldn't resist.

My 70 year old grandmother would love this and even though her movement is bad from MS she would be able to sit out in the morning.

She would never make it up and down stairs. So to the useless advice from some woman/man, your foolish. I hope you are nicer to you own family!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Didn't see anyone saying anything unhelpful tbh.

Whilst anyone, of any age, can be subject to mobility issues, being 70 years of age does not instantly make you incapable of negotiating a flight of stairs. Would probably be easier to find a hotel with a lift than it would be to find one with a smoking room.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement